Chord Changes for Trumpet Hornpipe on Duet

Andrew Shead

I am new player of an Elise Duet concertina who would like to learn to play the Trumpet Hornpipe (Captain Pugwash Theme). Is there someone here who could suggest some chord changes for the left-hand of the sheet music attached to this message as a PDF file? If you could give me a few clues to get me pointed in the right direction then I will take if from there and be pleased to re-post the finished sheet music for anyone else who cares to use it. I'm using the NtEd engraving software on Linux and am willing to share the source file too, should anyone want it. Thanks.Trumpet-Hornpipe.pdf

I am new player of an Elise Duet concertina who would like to learn to play the Trumpet Hornpipe (Captain Pugwash Theme). Is there someone here who could suggest some chord changes for the left-hand of the sheet music attached to this message as a PDF file? If you could give me a few clues to get me pointed in the right direction then I will take if from there and be pleased to re-post the finished sheet music for anyone else who cares to use it. I'm using the NtEd engraving software on Linux and am willing to share the source file too, should anyone want it. Thanks.Trumpet-Hornpipe.pdf

HI Andrew, have a look on www.concertina.com under the maccann section. David Cornell did some beginner arrangements there and I believer that Cpt. Pugwash is there, along wth chording. Welcome to the forum.

Rod: Thanks for the direction, which was fruitful in the form of David Cornell's arrangement for duet that I attach here for anyone else who passes this way: Cornell-Captain-Pugwash.pdf. It is a good practice piece in that it covers the entire range of the Elise. What I uploaded first was a rendering of either a MIDI or ABC from Nigel Gatherer, I can't remember which came first, that I intended to transcribe for penny-whistle.

I am wishing that I took up the concertina years ago instead of faffing about with the piano. Still, better late than never. The resources of the Internet weren't available to help me decide on a system when I first starting thinking about the instrument; the technology is a great boon. I've got as far as Long, Long ago in Wim Wakker's tutor; it is a simple tune that sounds delightful on the concertina whereas it would be a bit boring on the piano. The concertina is a forgiving instrument in contrast to the piano that needs the dexterity of James P. Johnson or Willie Smith to sound any good. And, of course, in terms of portability there is no contest between the concertina and the piano. Have concertina, will travel!

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Andrew Shead