Bolt hole damage

Just seeing / hearing you guys working on those fine edges makes me perspire. Do you ever use a clear two part epoxy and that resin cloth stuff to reinforce everything from just underneath? Or would even that add too much bulk? Michelle

Michelle

On this instrument there were no repairs to the fretwork fortunately. Depending on the job at hand, damaged fretwork may require to be reinforced and stablised, which may may mean reinforcing from underneath. New wood may need to be introduced as required, before then cutting the fretwork.

My avatar illustrates a concertina I rebuilt from what was essentially a bag of bits, making all new ends for it in burr walnut.

Steve

Attached is a an update picture.

Ends stripped of the old French polish, bolt holes repaired.

Ends now ready to receive the new French polish.

Brilliant! Looks as though some nice work is being done at Teesside.

Keep us informed.

Greg

Thanks Greg - I appreciate the feedback.

Of course I'll post more pictures as and when I reach key milestones.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

• 1 month later...

Finishing completed on the ends.

They look darker in the picture: in the right light the grain is a luxurious rosewood red.

Now time to get on with:

- pads & springs

- end bolt receiver plates

- valves & tuning

- revive/renew bellows

post-1950-0-20991100-1320512916_thumb.jpg

"Good idea to line the bolt hole with brass tubing, but because the ends are rosewood I cant use the Loctite idea (not on exposed woodwork)"

Steve

Yes, this is a good idea. If you get the appropriate size threading die you can thread the sheeve before inserting it, and then, using a hand drill screw it into the hole, and sand flush afterwards. This means that the pressure from the screw head cannot easily dislodge the sleeve and drive it downward, as the threads hold the brass sleeve quite securely.

Edited by Frank Edgley

Lovely job, Steve.... how did you actually repair the bolt hole damage in the end?

Michael

Thanks Michael

I used high-strength 2 component epoxy. I drilled out the damaged holes to the diameter of the plugs I'd prepared, then filled the holes with epoxy before then inserting the plugs. After the glue had set hard, I drilled out the bolt holes.

Steve

• 2 years later...