William Mullaly CD

ITMA has finally released the long-awaited reissue of William Mullaly's recordings from the 1920s. Same recordings as on the old Viva Voce cassette tape of the 1980s, but with some superb liner notes as well as Jackie Small's brilliant analysis and complete transcriptions of the tunes. You may remember the threads on this a year ago....the interest being the way WM was fingering his tunes. A lot of folks had assumed he was doing some really complex cross row fingering - perhaps a prelude to Paddy Murphy or Noel Hill? - but the anwser is refershingly different. He played almost everything, no matter what key, on the D row of what appears to have been a GD concertina. Sometimes, in the right hands, less is more!

Greg J., the Linota on the cover of the CD is the Linota GD that I sold you a year or so ago. We ascertained from some old photos that WM played a Linota when he was recording, and as it seems to have been a GD, I offered them a photo of mine/now yours. Who knows, maybe that is the one! No one in the family has the original (the story on the liner notes of the Viva Voce - stating that a relative in the States had it - was proven incorrect when I tracked down WM's nephew; this was written up in this Forum and in PICA).

Highly recormmended.

http://www.itma.ie/itmashop/product/mullaly/

Dan

Dan,

You forgot to mention that you bought the G/D Linota from me. And I bought it from an accordion dealer (since retired) who had a very strong dislike for concertinas. Thus, it was relatively cheap.

Attention all accordion dealers who do not like concertinas: Please contact me.

Edited by Dowright

• 1 month later...

A great CD and bookletand long awaited .

Was G/D as now played by a lot of English players common in those days. A C/G with C row tuned up to D would be OK and quicker as te reeds wouldn't be a big as G/Ds.

What did Noel Hill use when he had a spell on a G/D or D/G?

I've even heard it sumised that Mullally played a D/A . Both row of a C/G tuned up?

Se comments on another tthread ( before I saw this , having been off concnet for a while)