C#s and a High G#

I recently got a Lachenal Anglo C G and for the stuff I want to play I need a C# and a G# above that. This will allow me to play most of the traditional tunes I know. Is there a standard fix for this?

It's 20 key G/G Anglo. Could it be converted to G/D? or something else>

I presume that's a typo, and you mean C/G.

It's 20 key G/G Anglo. Could it be converted to G/D? or something else>

Most likely the easiest -- and least expensive -- way to convert it to a G/D would be to sell it and buy a G/D. (Or simply use it for trade-in on a G/D with a dealer who is willing to work such a deal.)

That still won't give you the G# you want, only the C#. For that you'd have to have some customization done, even on a G/D. There are two arguments for not going that route:

1. Customization -- even the retuning or replacement (which would also require at least touch-up retuning) of only one or two reeds -- costs something. (There are members here who do such work, so perhaps they would advise you in a PM what they would charge.) How does that compare to the cost of upgrading to an instrument with 26 or more buttons? A 26-button anglo should give you all the notes you're asking for and more, so that if in the future you decide you also want a Bb or D#(Eb), you won't have to contemplate another round of modifications.
  2. The result would be an instrument that only you can play, since no one else's instrument will have those modifications. At the same time you would lose at least a couple of "standard" fingering options, i.e., those notes that you've changed. And then if (more likely, when) you move up to an instrument with more buttons, you would need to relearn everything in your repertoire that uses those customized notes.

If you're serious enough about playing that you feel you truly need those notes, then should you really gamble on a nonstandard "solution" that might -- but also might not -- give the result that you're hoping for?

Here is a link to how forum member Tom B-R approached this problem of accidentals with a 20b C/G.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12846

This is not necessarily a recommendation but the acknowledgement of one approach.

20b concertinas present a certain limitation along with a certain charm.

A 22b or 24b Lachenal concertina, though much less common, would be another way of solving the problem. Less expensive than a 26b (probably in the 500 GBP range vs 750; and much less expensive than a 30b (at 900-1000)

Greg

Thanks for that Greg. I watched Toms concertina auction with interest but it went beyond my limit. It was that sale that gave me the idea of changing reeds. I've looked inside and I am impressed with how easy it is to take reeds out and put them back in. Is it possible to buy a couple of reeds from somewhere? If I could do that it would be possible to change back to normal if I wish to sell.

David Leese is the man to contact for extra reed assemblies:

http://www.concertina-spares.com/

You will need to check the relative sizes of the shoes and the slots in which they may go.

The C# might need just a bit of shimming in an A slot. The G# in a small reeds place may take a bit more of thought and planning.

Careful planning followed up with careful cabinetry is usually reversible. If in doubt of your skills it is best to seek professional help.

Greg