Restored Edeophone Tenor/Treble for sale

david robertson

Bit of an oddity, this one. It's a Tenor/Treble Edeophone, but it may have been built by Wheatstone from bits left over when Lachenal closed in the 1930s. The evidence? Well, both reedpans are stamped "Wheatstone" on their inner faces, though the serial number is clearly Lachenal. Then there are the thumbstraps - fitted with Wheatstone buckles, which appear to have been there from new. And finally, it comes in a Wheatstone hard case. Obviously, none of this is conclusive - it may simply have been refurbished by Wheatstone - and frankly, who cares? But what I can tell you for sure is that it has been comprehensively restored, with new pads, valves, dampers, springs, bushes and straps. The original 6-fold bellows are in excellent condition, supple and airtight, and the woodwork has been stripped and French polished. The instrument has been tuned to concert pitch, and plays as you would expect of an Edeophone - fast and loud. If you're within reach of Norwich, you're welcome to come and try it out - just send me a PM. I'm asking £3200, by the way.