Making leather grommets

Whats the best way to make the leather grommets that are fitted to the end of each leather arm?

I've been drilling a bunch of holes in an old belt, and then punching out the grommets around those holes. Despite taking my time and being very careful, I can't consistently make a perfect grommet...the angle of the punch and the angle of the drill never seem to line up and the hole rarely travels directly through the middle.

Without the benefit of a drill press, any tips on this process? And yes, I know I could buy them for cheap.

Thanks!

Punch out the pieces first, then to make the holes you need to prepare a simple tool. The tool can be made of hard wood, or metal. You need a parallel sided block of material with a shallow hole in the top surface, of the same diameter as the grommet, and the hole extended in a much smaller diameter. Insert the blank grommet into the hole and then with a sharp spike mounted in a wooden handle drive a hole into the leather. The small diameter hole acts as a clearance and guide for the spike after it has passed through the leather. I first saw this method used by Geoff Crabb.

Whats the best way to make the leather grommets that are fitted to the end of each leather arm?

If you are not very particular about preserving orthodox methods why not use readymade wood or plastic beads which come in various sizes? They also may fit better than the cylindrical punched out leather pieces do when short levers are not parallel to the action board.

Edited by Ardie