Screw this!

I have a concertina that I'm restoring (an English Lachenal), and some of the screws under the pinky rest and the thumb strap are old, worn, and don't really have much of a slot with which to unscrew.

Mind you, if I wanted the screws I could easily get them with damage to the face, but I want the screws out with minimal damage to the brass, or the wood. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions as to how I can get these screws out without causing damage to the instrument?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

I have a concertina that I'm restoring (an English Lachenal), and some of the screws under the pinky rest and the thumb strap are old, worn, and don't really have much of a slot with which to unscrew.

Mind you, if I wanted the screws I could easily get them with damage to the face, but I want the screws out with minimal damage to the brass, or the wood. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions as to how I can get these screws out without causing damage to the instrument?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Just a thought: Superglue the screwdriver to the screw and when its out (heat the screwdriver and screw) to separate them.

After thought: I am sure you are competent enough to work this out but I'll say it anyway; be sure you have the correct size screwdriver and put a dab of Superglue on to a piece of waste paper to dip the screwdriver into so that you only get the minimum amount of glue needed and if you are concerned about getting the glue on the fingerplate put a little amount of Vaseline, using perhaps a toothpick, around the perimeter of the screw.

I have not done this on screws quite so small but it does work when removing screws form small hinges in little boxes.

Edited by tony

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Just a thought: Superglue the screwdriver to the screw and when its out (heat the screwdriver and screw) to separate them.

After thought: I am sure you are competent enough to work this out but I'll say it anyway; be sure you have the correct size screwdriver and put a dab of Superglue on to a piece of waste paper to dip the screwdriver into so that you only get the minimum amount of glue needed and if you are concerned about getting the glue on the fingerplate put a little amount of Vaseline, using perhaps a toothpick, around the perimeter of the screw.

I have not done this on screws quite so small but it does work when removing screws form small hinges in little boxes.

Assuming there is ever such a little slot, have you first tried heating the screw with a soldering iron which expands it and tends to loosen it a bit from the wood and the possibly rusted threaded slot. Then a really sharp screwdriver with good downwards pressure turning v slowly might get it moving up until you can catch it with fine nosed plyers to do the rest; even with a poor slot......

Edited by Kautilya

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

any joy yet?

I usually just drill the head out, remove the finger slide, and then unscrew the recalcitrant screw with a mole grip

Dave