W. Davis Concertina

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone has any information on a particular instrument that I have recently obtained. It was apparently purchased in the 1950s, but it may be older.

I've got some pictures here:

http://www.gvurrdon.demon.co.uk/concertina1.jpg

http://www.gvurrdon.demon.co.uk/concertina2.jpg

On one end it says "From W. Davis, 50 Broad Street, Bloomsbury, London" and on the other is the serial number "26602".

Thanks!

Milo.

Not a lot to go on but it looks like a Lachenal to me (one of the nice rosewood end ones). A number of dealers put their own labels on Lachenals. Others will know more about the dealer in question.

Thanks.

Is there anywhere where I could find more information on Lachenal instruments?

Milo,

I'd suspect your instrument dates roughly 1865-75 from its number, and thus is too early too have the Lachenal trade mark stamped on its palm rest.

I finally got around to looking up W. Davis.

In the 1869 Post Office Street directory William Davis is listed as a *TOBACCONIST :ph34r: * at 50 Broad St.

Milo,

I'd suspect your instrument dates roughly 1865-75 from its number, and thus is too early too have the Lachenal trade mark stamped on its palm rest.

I finally got around to looking up W. Davis.

In the 1869 Post Office Street directory William Davis is listed as a *TOBACCONIST :ph34r: * at 50 Broad St.

A tobacconist seems a most unusal place to have bought a concertina, and is most interesting. Thanks for the information.

I am amazed by the date (I estimated ~1915), as it certainly seems in excellent condidion. I have a cornet made in 1897 that was somewhat the worse for wear before restoration.

Unfortunately, I will probably have to sell it. :(

A tobacconist seems a most unusal place to have bought a concertina, and is most interesting.

It may seem surprising to us today, but shops often sold seemingly completely unrelated things in years gone by. I have come across several instances of tobacconists selling concertinas in the nineteenth century, both in England and Australia, and at least one of the German makers had links with the tobacco trade.