New Duet & Import Duties Question

I just received a new small Crane Duet from Barleycorn Concertinas (refurbished 42 key wooden ended Lachenal), and got the usual excellent service from Chris, but, in a first for me (after buying several instruments from overseas, concertinas and others), the package came with a customs bill attached ($43 on a declared value of GBP500.). Have I just been lucky so far that the instruments came through without attracting Customs attention, or do others routinely pay on import concertinas? I know there's an exemption from import duty for bagpipes, I suppose it would be too much to hope for that there's an equivalent for concertinas?

The other odd thing is that the concertina was delivered to me with the form attached, but it's clear from the instructions that the addressee is supposed to pay before delivery, and it's the postmaster's job to collect the duty and send it in. I suppose I should just be happy I received the darn thing.

Tim

But piano accordions are FREE.

... Seems unfair! :)

Maybe it'd be fun to start a "duty free band!" Piano accordions, bagpipes, cymbals, pipe organs, mouth organs (harmonicas?), and tuned bells are all free. Any more?

In Canada there is no duty on concertinas or accordions. You still get hit for taxes though. Also, I've found that Purolator usually get it wrong and charge you, leaving you to claim it back. UPS charge very high broker fees. My experience points to using the Post Office whenever possible.

Duties depend also on the value of the instrument.