Lachenal New Model English Arrives!

I recently traded in my Lachenal New Model Crane for a metal ended New Model English and it arrived today. The english was described to me as being loud, fast & bright, and boy is it ever! It's sassy! I've played it for about 30 minutes and it's great fun. To me, it feels & sounds just right for iTrad. It's very air tight and in great condition, just some tarnish on the metal ends. I think this is going to be one seriously great concertina. I'm really excited about it.

Anyone remember where to look online to get an idea of when it was built?

bruce boysen

Great news on the new concertina! I think that the Lachenal "New Model" English is underrated or maybe overshadowed by the Edeophone and the Wheatstone Aeola. I have a "New Model" and a Aeola. I play them both about equal time. The action seems about the same to me but the sound is a little better on the Aeola which has recently been reconditioned while the "New Model" hasn't had anywork done to it in twenty or so years. I would love to get one of the classic Edeophones someday. Where did you get your new concertina from?

Great news on the new concertina! I think that the Lachenal "New Model" English is underrated or maybe overshadowed by the Edeophone and the Wheatstone Aeola. I have a "New Model" and a Aeola. I play them both about equal time. The action seems about the same to me but the sound is a little better on the Aeola which has recently been reconditioned while the "New Model" hasn't had anywork done to it in twenty or so years. I would love to get one of the classic Edeophones someday. Where did you get your new concertina from?

Hi, the "New Model" English came from Barleycorn Concertinas. The action is great on mine too. It's just as fast as a riveted action and this one, at least, is also quiet. I can't feel any difference in playability between the Lachenal & Wheatstone actions. The Lachenal is louder & brighter than my tenor Aeola. The lachenal has only a five fold bellows and I do notice I need to be careful not to try to expand it too far. The Aeola has a new seven fold bellows (and a new action) that The Concertina Connection installed. It will be interesting to see which one I play the most down the road a bit.

bruce boysen