May 9

Everybody.

Congratulations on ending of European Chapter of WWII, 65 years ago.

Terrible tragedy for every nation involved, 70 million people dead in only 6 years, and only in Europe alone.

Some wonderful legacy in Asia as well. Great Drama of misery, heroism and betrayal, never to be forgotten.

Coming of Nazis to power

Civil war in Spain

Militarization of Germany

Betrayal of Checkoslovakia

USSR annexation of Baltic States

USSR invasion of Finnland

Molotov-Ribbentrop pact

Division of Poland

and finally, clash of "Titans", resulting in creation of super-weapon.

Then we have atomic bombardment of Japan, creation of communist China, Vietnam, resulting in Vietnam war. Just awesome legacy.

None of the above has taught us anything it seems, so we may see some wonderful continuation during our life time.

But those beautiful war songs need to be learned and played, at least something we can do to keep memories alive.

I don't watch TV and don't know if American TV has paid any tribute to the event. Looks like it's "Mother's Day here in the States", the rest is forgotten. How are things in Old World?

Mischa, how does it feel to live in the country that has the largest and most powerful military machine ever seen on earth? Our kids lack medical care because it's too expensive but 55% of the US budget goes to the military. Without defense spending the US economy would totally collapse. The US runs on defense spending -- though really it should be called Offense spending.

The US has to be at war, or present us with the threat of war, so that voters will support the politicians who are paid by corporations to support a war-time economy. You are right-- nothing has been learned. We seem doomed to have politicians who make the same mistakes, over and over. I am beginning to think politics is a waste of time, unlike playing Devaney's Goat. Could it be that Devaney's little goat is the True Saviour?

But those beautiful war songs need to be learned and played, at least something we can do to keep memories alive.

Hi M

Too expensive

http://torrentfreak.com/world-war-ii-veterans-must-pay-to-sing-war-songs-100328/

Thanks

Leo

P.S. In the US, the official VE Day is May 8. VJ day is Sept 2.

Edited by Leo

Hi M

Too expensive

http://torrentfreak....r-songs-100328/

Thanks

Leo

P.S. In the US, the official VE Day is May 8. VJ day is Sept 2.

That's Russia for you. Horrific. The answer to this should be all radio and TV stations, all musicians and singers just sing those songs non stop for a week. Freaking lawyers. "special arrangement" for them. How about Stalingrad?

And to David - I don't know. After USSR life in the US feels like there is no military present at all.

Out of 303 Mil people 1.3 Mil in the Army. In Russia out of 140 Mil people 1,2 Mil in the Army.

Mischa, how does it feel to live in the country that has the largest and most powerful military machine ever seen on earth? Our kids lack medical care because it's too expensive but 55% of the US budget goes to the military. Without defense spending the US economy would totally collapse. The US runs on defense spending -- though really it should be called Offense spending.

The US has to be at war, or present us with the threat of war, so that voters will support the politicians who are paid by corporations to support a war-time economy. You are right-- nothing has been learned. We seem doomed to have politicians who make the same mistakes, over and over. I am beginning to think politics is a waste of time, unlike playing Devaney's Goat. Could it be that Devaney's little goat is the True Saviour?

Sorry, I incorrectly edited my remarks and ended up making a duplicate second posting. See below.

Edited by CaryK

This isn't the forum for your personal political ravings. And when you do stray off the track, please get your facts right. The US military budget for 2010 is about 19% (not 55%) of total U.S. budget (including all current war expenditures). And with respect to military spending being the kingpin of the US economy, in 2010 the military spending will be just 4.8% of the total GDP; and its forecast to be less than 4% after 2012. That's less than one nickel out of every dollar of all goods and services being produced in this country. A valid argument can be made by some that this is still too much military spending, but there are more appropriate forums on the internet on which this can be discussed.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy10/pdf/summary.pdf

Cary... really.... ravings? There's no need to be insulting. I was responding to Mischa.

Much of the costs for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have not been funded through regular appropriations bills, but through emergency supplemental appropriations bills. As such, most of these expenses were not included in the budget deficit calculation prior to Fiscal Year 2010. If you include the costs of the current wars the total percentage of military funding goes way up. Add in the maintenance of foreign bases and veterans' funding and the real percentage goes even higher.

Please reference http://www.warresisters.org/pages/piechart.htm. You won't like it. But I gather you don't like much that you disagree with and prefer to respond with anger, instead of sweetly and reasonably, like me. Don't answer me and I won't make this a "forum for [my] personal political ravings."