The power of the Media!

I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to play a couple of tunes on my Hammered Dulcimer this morning on Radio Ulster ....... & right about now, you are probably saying to yourself, OK but what the BEEJAZUS has that got to do with Concertinas! :P

Well, the point is, I reckon it's always worth doing these wee promos, because you just never know who will hear you & what you may learn from them.

e.g. Within a few minutes of the programme ending, someone phoned in, asking me to contact them tonight, regarding the Dulcimer.

In fact, better than that ( I think ) was the fact that I actually met a neighbour of the most famous Co Antrim Dulcimer player, the late John Rea, while in the waiting area. To put you in the picture, from a rich tradition with appx 30 players back in the early 70s, now there is only ONE local man left playing the Dulcimer in Co Antrim.

Anyway, John used to visit this man's home, with his Dulcimer under his arm & play tunes, so I've sent him off to see if anyone in the family has any photos of John! Who knows what'll come of it! ;)

So the point really is, has anyone else here ever broadcast their Concertina over the Radio Waves & met any interesting musicians or received any interesting Concertina related information back, as a result of their efforts?

Incidentally, for the record, if interested, you can listen to my humble efforts, on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm not sure if you guys would really be interested though, in hearing a Jangly Stringy Thingy! ;)

Radio Ulster: Good Morning Ulster

N.B. My 5 mins starts at 2hrs 10mins & I also play a little at the very end around 2hrs 28mins.

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Thanks Dick. As a dulcimer player myself, I really enjoyed that.

It's sad to learn that there's not much interest in keeping the Co Antrim dulcimer tradition alive. When I was younger and living in Essex there was quite an upsurge in dulcimer playing among younger musicians - for traditional music, we looked towards East Anglia which also had a dulcimer tradition, so it felt as if we were helping to keep something local alive. Perhaps your broadcast will do something to increase interest.

I agree with your comments about it being too big for sessions - I very seldom take mine to a session, which is a pity. Concertinas are a lot more portable!

I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to play a couple of tunes on my Hammered Dulcimer this morning on Radio Ulster ....... & right about now, you are probably saying to yourself, OK but what the BEEJAZUS has that got to do with Concertinas! :P

Well, the point is, I reckon it's always worth doing these wee promos, because you just never know who will hear you & what you may learn from them.

e.g. Within a few minutes of the programme ending, someone phoned in, asking me to contact them tonight, regarding the Dulcimer.

In fact, better than that ( I think ) was the fact that I actually met a neighbour of the most famous Co Antrim Dulcimer player, the late John Rea, while in the waiting area. To put you in the picture, from a rich tradition with appx 30 players back in the early 70s, now there is only ONE local man left playing the Dulcimer in Co Antrim.

Anyway, John used to visit this man's home, with his Dulcimer under his arm & play tunes, so I've sent him off to see if anyone in the family has any photos of John! Who knows what'll come of it! ;)

So the point really is, has anyone else here ever broadcast their Concertina over the Radio Waves & met any interesting musicians or received any interesting Concertina related information back, as a result of their efforts?

Incidentally, for the record, if interested, you can listen to my humble efforts, on the BBC iPlayer.

I'm not sure if you guys would really be interested though, in hearing a Jangly Stringy Thingy! ;)

Radio Ulster: Good Morning Ulster

N.B. My 5 mins starts at 2.10 & I also play a little at the very end around 2:28.

Cheers

Dick

very nice, I do like HDs!

(We actually had 2 at our session last month - stereo dulcimers! A real squash in our small session space)

Chris