What is this forum a cure for?

Feeling a geek :unsure:

Virtuoso expression by drunks suffering from the DTs -- they can hit all buttons in rapid succession

I'm not sure if I understood you :) . What I meant it that I feel OK in here, maybe I'd have to say not feeling a geek. It's not usual to find in my enviroment somebody who plays a musical instrument, leave alone an old fashioned instrument as the 'tina.

So, most of times, when I've to explain somebody what a concertina is, I feel a bit embarrassed and/or scared :( - you know, jokes about sailors, clown-certina and all that sh*t -.

BTW, what's DTs, Please? :blink: :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

BTW, what's DTs, Please? blink.gif laugh.gif

Cheers,

Fer

Since I have extensive experience in this area, I don't feel too bad butting in here. ph34r.gif

I always assumed it meant "De Tox" after a bout of drinking, however, Wikipedia describes it as "Delirium tremens". AKA "the shakes" or "the horrors". ohmy.gif

Personally, and unfortunately, I've never found this forum to cure them. sad.gif

Something to think about before you say "Cheers" too many times in a sitting. wink.gif

I always assumed it meant "De Tox" after a bout of drinking, however, Wikipedia describes it as "Delirium tremens". AKA "the shakes" or "the horrors".

'The blue devils' is a good one I came across in an old book. As in 'He's got an attack of the blue devils'

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't originally a medics' contraction, just as tuberculosis apparently became popularly called 'TB' as a result of doctors' concealing the true nature of the possible problem from their patients to avoid needlessly alarming them.

'The blue devils' is a good one I came across in an old book. As in 'He's got an attack of the blue devils'

"DPs"was used by the military in Canada in our colonial days. Short for "Dreaded Parallels", refering to the lines left in the snow by the heels of a drunken officer as he was dragged by his bat man from the officers' mess to his quarters.

Virtuoso expression by drunks suffering from the DTs -- they can hit all buttons in rapid succession

I'm not sure if I understood you :) . What I meant it that I feel OK in here, maybe I'd have to say not feeling a geek. It's not usual to find in my enviroment somebody who plays a musical instrument, leave alone an old fashioned instrument as the 'tina.

So, most of times, when I've to explain somebody what a concertina is, I feel a bit embarrassed and/or scared :( - you know, jokes about sailors, clown-certina and all that sh*t -.

BTW, what's DTs, Please? :blink: :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

I had a musical acrobatic clown act and performed in circuses for 20 years. Concertina was the featured instrument of the act. People would often ask "Where's your monkey"

My reply..."Jobs open!" ended any additional stupid comments on their part.

rss

Sorry was slow to answer the Q about the DTs but u got the answer - was out of circulation, shaking... in the snow over Hartside (see pic) and the caff was shut.

Apart from the sound of motorbikes ( http://osuarts.blogspot.com/2007/04/motorcycle-musichttpwww2bloggercomimggl.html

Hartside is known for its primary schoool doing some interesting work on music composition by children (http://www.durhamlea.org.uk/resources/index.html?_Action=viewrecord&_Id=1082) tho that ought praps to be in tunes forum.

BTW I don't know why we say 'THE' DTs, as tremens is a present participle used in adjectival form methinks - after all, we don't say 'The' bellowsing. And Hartside tlks about 'ostinato' which new to me ...any pedants out there? B)

Someone explained some time back about producing tremolo effect by shaking bellows and I have been trying that and it has a really nice effect for moany/heartstringpully toons so thank u whoever it was. When Parkinson's takes over I will get even better without having to shell out on Irish Whiskey :)

PS. Wot do folks think of this glossary - http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheorydefs.htm

Edited by Kautilya