IDENTIFY UNKNOWN TUNE PLSE?

Kautilya

IDENTIFY UNKNOWN TUNE PLSE?

sorry about the Chat over/under toon but the offenders will be sent home in the snow in their French sandals (without socks) :lol:

Player said he heard from another player who had maybe heard it in France but no name....

tried to put up on youtube but failed so sorry about download hassle.

about 3.5MB

Edited by Kautilya
  • Downvote 2

It's 'The Sweetness of Mary.' Sheet music here.

I recognized it but couldn't recall the name. So I entered an approximation of a few bars in ABC format into The Reverend's ABC Tune Search, a phenomenal tool that does 'fuzzy' searching of ABC libraries (predominantly Irish trad collections), and found it straight away.

Edited by Michael Reid
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice tune( in G) played there against all the odds as a slow reel almost an air. On The Session it's given as a 4/4 Strathspey... Listed by our own Geoff Wright in 2002

It's on Rhythms of the Wold record by Rod Stradling

Composer Joan MacDonald Boes ( Cape Breton I think?)

I first learned it from our old pal the late and much missed Barry Callaghan (melodeon)after a Sheffield City Morris practice in the 90s

Edited by michael sam wild
  • Downvote 1

Nice tune( in G) played there against all the odds as a slow reel almost an air. On The Session it's given as a 4/4 Strathspey... Listed by our own Geoff Wright in 2002

I first learned it from our old pal the late and much missed Barry Callaghan (melodeon)after a Sheffield City Morris practice in the 90s

A blessing on you Michael for that v interesting religious connection! and I will pass on both yr and MSW's naming.

Al - he was a newbie (on an Andrew Norman), tipped off by another Georger and he did not know about cNet. Name unknown!

But I will email this chat to Ch and Ca. in case he left a contact. B)

• Downvote 1

A blessing on you Michael for that v interesting religious connection! and I will pass on both yr and MSW's naming.

Al - he was a newbie (on an Andrew Norman), tipped off by another Georger and he did not know about cNet. Name unknown!

But I will email this chat to Ch and Ca. in case he left a contact.

I am sure he will be back B)

• Downvote 1

His name was Russel (the newbie on the anglo) and he is a friend of John Offord, fiddle player. And, yes the tune is called The Sweetness of Mary, after the Virgin Mary, and no, it wasn't Russel playing it, it was me, playing it on my Edeophone. It's been in my repertoire for 3 years, at least and I heard it first from the playing of Eliza Carthy. So, there!! The 'French' tune you made a reference to, was a French tune played by said Russel a bit later on in the evening. He had learned it from someone playing it at a Breton Dance in Cornwall and the chap who was playing it there, didn't know the name of it and neither did Chris shaw, although he thought is sounded familiar. And, yes, Chris has got Russel's email address.

Chris

This is indeed a lovely tune. Do you know who was playing this in The George?

Al

I confess, it was me Al, on my Edeophone. Been on my repertoire for at least three years! It's a Strathspey and one of my all-time favourite tunes.

Chris

Very nice Chris, how about a nice clean MP3 of it

Al

Al

That means I posted the wrong tune Chris!!!

I had terrible trouble (three hours) struggling with the file ....having first had to convert from MSV and then failing to get it to play as a WMV on UTube..

Did the new chap next to you, who asked wot box u had, play his piece before or after you ? Member he said 'is it only French tunes here?' and then started off when given zee go ahead ....

ere I go again... but not tonite.....

apologies everyone!

I confess, it was me Al, on my Edeophone. Been on my repertoire for at least three years! It's a Strathspey and one of my all-time favourite tunes.

Chris

Al

• Downvote 1

His name was Russel (the newbie on the anglo) and he is a friend of John Offord, fiddle player. And, yes the tune is called The Sweetness of Mary, after the Virgin Mary, and no, it wasn't Russel playing it, it was me, playing it on my Edeophone. It's been in my repertoire for 3 years, at least and I heard it first from the playing of Eliza Carthy. So, there!! The 'French' tune you made a reference to, was a French tune played by said Russel a bit later on in the evening. He had learned it from someone playing it at a Breton Dance in Cornwall and the chap who was playing it there, didn't know the name of it and neither did Chris shaw, although he thought is sounded familiar. And, yes, Chris has got Russel's email address.

Chris

NOW FOR THE REAL UNKNOWN TUNE - see new topic (to lessen my confusion!!)

Edited by Kautilya
  • Downvote 1

Al

Chris

Al

Yes, thanks, Al. That would be nice, instead of all that 'orrible background noise. But, I have to master the technology to do it, first.

Chris