New Tune of the Month Offering

The spirits of three old master fiddlers join us for a memorable session.

Click here to see the photos and videos, hear the tunes and follow the links as we play through Highlander’s Farewell, Grasshopper Sitting on a Sweet Potato Vine and Eklundapolska Nr. 3.

NESI is free reed heaven on earth. This year’s weekend was great as always. A high point for me was an excellent session on Sunday in the dinning room with:

Jody Kruskal - Anglo concertina

Rachel Hall - English concertina

Ken Sweeney - English concertina

Rick Mohr - fiddle

Adlai Waksman - melodica

For a few hours, we played American Old-Time and contra dance music, tunes from Bulgaria and Sweden. Mostly we were jumping right in to learn unfamiliar tunes on the spot. I would love to play together again with this band of improvising musicians.

After picking three highlights from that session to post, I thought I would learn more about the tunes and in all three cases I found an old master fiddler responsible for our enjoyment.

• Like 1

Great stuff Jody, Thanks!!

Thanks for commenting angloplayer. I'm so pleased that you liked my page. I was just listening again to the clips and was reminded about how much fun that session was. Though the recordings are flawed and the playing was off the cuff, there was a lovely interaction between us musicians that was a joy to be part of.