Locked, Pinned, Etc

I don't think I have ever understood certain terms and policies. What does "pinned" mean? What is "locked"? Are certain people banned from forums and on what basis?

As I understand it:

• A "pinned" Topic will always appear at the top of the display in its subForum, whether or not there have been any recent postings to it. This is rarely done, but is done (at least here on Concertina.net) for Topics containing information that is considered particularly helpful and which folks (especially newcomers) shouldn't have to search to find. Members can recommend that a particular Topic be pinned, but only Paul (who owns and administers Concertina.net) can make it happen, so the decision is ultimately his.
  • If a Topic is "locked", then no one can make changes to it... no new posts or replies, and I presume (though I haven't tried it) no editing of existing posts. As with pinned Topics, locking a Topic is solely Paul's decision. My understanding is that he will lock a Topic if he feels that it is disrupting (or perhaps is in danger of disrupting) either the general concertina focus or the friendly, open atmosphere of discussion which are the foundations of Concertina.net.
  • I know of two individuals who have had their privilege (it's not a "right") to post suspended. I know this, because they themselves have told me so. If there are more, I don't know about it, nor do I feel that I should. Paul does not announce such actions, nor his reasons. I believe it is something he is very reluctant to do, and an action he will take only as a last resort. He does not discuss it, nor does he like to have it discussed.
  • Paul will, of course, correct me if he feels that anything in my above interpretation is incorrect. He is the boss, and I fully accept and support his authority.

Edited to insert a missing word.

Edited by JimLucas