Any recordings with good use of drone key

J Werner

I just got my first concertina (Rochelle Anglo) a couple weeks ago, and I have to say that this instrument is FUN! I'm already looking around for an upgrade (considering the long wait times), and in searching I've seen some anglos that have a drone key. I'm very intrigued by this and I was wondering:

What does a good implementation of the drone key sound like? Imitation bagpipes? I know that on the guitar I love to tune to drop-D and let that low D drone on under tunes played in D, so I'm guessing that it would be to my liking on the concertina too, though I've never heard anyone use the drone very much. Anyone know of some good recordings or YouTube videos with lots of drone key throughout the song? I'd love to hear some of it. In my mind I'm picturing some "mysterious" sounding music... Is it really low, or middle-C-ish?

One of Jody Kruskal's "Tunes of the month" featured drones, (though not using a drone equipped concertina.)

Lots of other good stuff there too.

http://www.jodykruskal.com/tune_of_the_mon...nuary_2008.html

That sounds really fabulous! I love that he provided a copy of the drone background for you to download and play along with! I guess because of the very nature of a drone, there's no reason the sound has to actually come from your concertina.

I just got my first concertina (Rochelle Anglo) a couple weeks ago, and I have to say that this instrument is FUN! I'm already looking around for an upgrade (considering the long wait times), and in searching I've seen some anglos that have a drone key. I'm very intrigued by this and I was wondering:

What does a good implementation of the drone key sound like? Imitation bagpipes? I know that on the guitar I love to tune to drop-D and let that low D drone on under tunes played in D, so I'm guessing that it would be to my liking on the concertina too, though I've never heard anyone use the drone very much. Anyone know of some good recordings or YouTube videos with lots of drone key throughout the song? I'd love to hear some of it. In my mind I'm picturing some "mysterious" sounding music... Is it really low, or middle-C-ish?

Here is a quick time movie of a 33 buttons g/d Anglo I built a few years ago. I did use the drone throughout the recording. I played the hymn a bit too fast and left my mouth hanging open a bit.....I'm no actor.

http://hmi.homewood.net/33bGD/33blachenal.mov