Reeds on an Anglo

I play mainly ITM on a C/G 26 button Jeffries.

for playing in D I have a Csharp pull (with Eb push) on the 1st RHS Accidental button. But now I am having a 30 button Anglo repaired . How many people have got a C sharp reed on push and pull on the RHS Ist Accidental and is it worth the loss of the Eb.

And what low notes has anyone changed on the LHS? I occasionally feel the need for a low D and Fsharp at the dusty end as I listen to quite a few fiddle players who seem to use them

Edited by michael sam wild

I have a C# push/pull on the 1st RHS Accidental button on both the 30 button C/Gs I own. I play ITM and don't miss the push Eb.

It seems a bit excessive to have 3 C#s, but then it is only a single reed change from the "standard" Jeffries layout. I have kept the original Eb reed from my Crabb so that it can always be returned to the original Jeffries layout if required.

I haven't made any changes the LHS as it seems to work fine just as it is.

Dave

I have a 28 button Jeffries and have replaced the Eb with a second C#. I very seldom miss the Eb but love the second C#. In fact I have standardized all my 30 button concertinas with the 28 button Jeffries by using the standard Jeffries layout but having both C#s on the second outside button RH and both Ebs on the first button RH. So for D tunes especially, all the instruments play the same.

No changes have been made to the LH side on the Jeffries but I would like a low draw A on the fifth button G row. My other 30 button tinas have that low A and I love it.

Ross Schlabach

i have 3 C#'s as well. i do miss the push Eb, but it is much more worthwhile to have two push C#'s than two Eb's. to be honest i don't use the pull C# at all. the push Eb is only nice if you play in a lot of strange keys, but even then it is not necessary, as i have grown quite used to only one Eb.

I play mainly ITM on a C/G 26 button Jeffries.

for playing in D I have a Csharp pull (with Eb push) on the 1st RHS Accidental button. But now I am having a 30 button Anglo repaired . How many people have got a C sharp reed on push and pull on the RHS Ist Accidental and is it worth the loss of the Eb.

And what low notes has anyone changed on the LHS? I occasionally feel the need for a low D and F sharp at the dusty end as I listen to quite a few fiddle players who seem to use them

I have a 26 button Bb/F Jeffries, but the equivalent button on my instrument has the B (equivalent to the C#) on the press and the C# ( equivalent to the Eb) on the draw mimicking the more common second button top row configuration. I find it extremely easy to play that button with my middle finger, leaving the first finger free for the first buttons on the middle and inner rows. On my C/G, I like having the Eb for a number of tunes and as long as I have the press C#, I am satisfied. If I had to choose anything with just the two notes, I'd keep the Eb but switch it to the draw and put the C# on the press. Quite possible that is the way it was originally anyway. As it is on my 30 button C/G I have three C#'s and the draw Eb. I use the draw C# about as often as the Eb, but for certain ornaments or rolls that want it paired with a draw note.

On the Left side of the 26 button, I lacked the equivalent of the low press A, and weighted the existing Eb equivalent to a low A using a thin wedge of nickel silver and switched it with the C# equivalent from Draw to Press. I don't like having the C# on the draw, but it doesn't really take me any time to get used to it even after playing my C/G instrument, and I do like having the Press low A equivalent instead of the rarely used ( for me ) low Eb equivalent.

Dana