Wheatstone Aeola TT at auction

SteveS

I see that Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble serial number 28005 sold at auction the other day for £2200 (plus buyers premium).

It'd be interesting to know a little more about this. e.g. How much would the "buyer's premium" have been?

How much needed to be spent on it, to bring it up to standard?

I'd especially like to know because you see, I own: Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble serial number 28004

2728821510102727105S425x425Q85.jpg

Cheers

Dick

I dont have details of the exact condition - I only ever saw photos of it sent to me via email.

But from the photos it looked to be in pretty good condition.

I guess the minimum of all usual repairs would need to be done to bring it up playing standard.

Buyer's premium was 15% plus VAT I believe.

I dont have details of the exact condition - I only ever saw photos of it sent to me via email.

I guess the minimum of all usual repairs would need to be done to bring it up playing standard.

Hmmm My maths isn't great, but would the 15% + VAT come to about £300?

Then, would you possibly be talking about £200 for restoration work?

This would give the buyer a fine instrument for around £2,700, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

N.B. I paid £2,600 for mine, 9 months ago.

Cheers

Dick

Looking at the Ledger I see that 28004 was completed on the 31st of January 1919, while the 28005 wasn't completed until the 7th of February 1919.

However, I see that they were not identical.

They both have {what looks like} "56 Keys 7 1/4 + the letters S.V. & W.S."

However, 28004 has "Octs Tenor Black" in front, while 28005 has "N.P. Octs"

Can someone please explain what the difference is? Ta

Cheers

Dick

Looking at the Ledger I see that 28004 was completed on the 31st of January 1919, while the 28005 wasn't completed until the 7th of February 1919.

However, I see that they were not identical.

They both have {what looks like} "56 Keys 7 1/4 + the letters S.V. & W.S."

However, 28004 has "Octs Tenor Black" in front, while 28005 has "N.P. Octs"

Can someone please explain what the difference is? Ta

Cheers

Dick

NP - Nickel plate?

Hmmm My maths isn't great, but would the 15% + VAT come to about £300?

Then, would you possibly be talking about £200 for restoration work?

This would give the buyer a fine instrument for around £2,700, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

N.B. I paid £2,600 for mine, 9 months ago.

Cheers

Dick

Dick

A retune alone would more likely be around £400 and then with repadding and revalving my guess would be closer to £600.

I fancied this box myself, but having just recently acquired a really nice baritone (My latest squeeze) I couldn't really justify another 'tina so soon :(

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Dick

A retune alone would more likely be around £400 and then with repadding and revalving my guess would be closer to £600.

I fancied this box myself, but having just recently acquired a really nice baritone (My latest squeeze) I couldn't really justify another 'tina so soon :(

Steve

Hey Steve, I bet your glad they didn't both come up at the same time?

I've a real soft spot for my Baritone, but 28005 is a real beauty too, as is your own Baritone, so I'm very glad I didn't have to choose between them!

Cheers

Dick

Hey Steve, I bet your glad they didn't both come up at the same time?

I've a real soft spot for my Baritone, but 28005 is a real beauty too, as is your own Baritone, so I'm very glad I didn't have to choose between them!

Cheers

Dick

Dick

I've actually got an Aeola TT being restored right now - it's been there some time so not clear yet when it'll be ready.

This box was a wreak, with smashed-in ends, but will be a beauty once restored - ebony ends, brass reeds, 56 keys - looking forward to getting it back - main use is for song accompaniment.

The danger is I'll enjoy the baritone too much...

And yes, the choice would have been difficult, but I'd have chosen the baritone, with which i chuffed to bits.

Steve

Dick

I've actually got an Aeola TT being restored right now - it's been there some time so not clear yet when it'll be ready.

This box was a wreak, with smashed-in ends, but will be a beauty once restored - ebony ends, brass reeds, 56 keys - looking forward to getting it back - main use is for song accompaniment.

The danger is I'll enjoy the baritone too much...

And yes, the choice would have been difficult, but I'd have chosen the baritone, with which i chuffed to bits.

Steve

Yeah Steve, ... me too.

After all, I'm sure there are a lot more TTs out there, than Baritones. ;)

Brass Reeds eh ... hmmmmm, I hope we'll get a chance to hear that one in action? B)

Cheers

Dick

Brass Reeds eh ... hmmmmm, I hope we'll get a chance to hear that one in action? B)

Dick

Marketed as non-corrosive reeds, brass reeds were offered as an option by Wheatstone on instruments that were going into damp or tropical climates.

These reeds were of top quality on a par with steel reeds, as one would have expected if paying £26 for a box in 1918, and play as well as steel reeds.

Steve

Dick

Marketed as non-corrosive reeds, brass reeds were offered as an option by Wheatstone on instruments that were going into damp or tropical climates.

These reeds were of top quality on a par with steel reeds, as one would have expected if paying £26 for a box in 1918, and play as well as steel reeds.

Steve

I have no doubt Steve.

I have a little treble with Brass Reeds myself & I have a hunch that Brass Reeds actually blend more naturally with the human voice, making those instruments a much better choice for song accompaniment.

Incidentally, do you yourself, live in a damp or tropical climate? .... wet rot, rising damp etc etc ;)

I live in Ireland ...... need I say more! :D

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan