Bonjour Mazurks/ Waltz

Alan Day

Mazurkas, bourees and the Varsovienne continue to be popular dance at bals and fetes in this area (Aveyron)

This one has basically the same steps and tune but our local version much is slower with held notes at the end of some phrases where everyone freezes until the musicians carry on.

As Alan says the feet are usually low to the ground... a terre , as I'm frequently being told by my teacher when I start dancing 'English style'

Edited by HelenM

Mazurkas, bourees and the Varsovienne continue to be popular dance at bals and fetes in this area (Aveyron)

This one has basically the same steps and tune but our local version much is slower with held notes at the end of some phrases where everyone freezes until the musicians carry on.

As Alan says the feet are usually low to the ground... a terre , as I'm frequently being told by my teacher when I start dancing 'English style'

A common problem Helen,when we (Rosbif) used to teach French dances in the UK.

Al

I have been playing this new tune for a couple of days now,it is already one of my favourites,see if you agree.

The ending Chris is just for you "Mon Ami"

Al

Bonjour Mazurka/ Waltz (Alan Day)

Nice! For dancing, would you say this works better as a waltz or mazurka? (I sometimes get in trouble at French dances when I play a mazurka too much like a waltz, or a waltz too much like a mazurka).

It is really a varsovienne, not a waltz or mazurka. So you should dance a varsovienne on it. Sadly enough, not many people still know how to dance a varsovienne or a redowa. There are a bunch of dances in 3/4: waltz, mazurka, menuet, varsovienne, redowa, java... And I fear that the French are even loosing the concept of mazurka as well. It's up to us old guys to keep these traditions going.

varsovienne danced on youtube

Interesting dance that I have not seen before,nor does it appear as French, with their traditional dances the feet, are kept very low to the ground.

Thanks for the link.

The usual French Mazurka is alive and well and danced in central London(Bal dances), very strong in Leipzig when I was there and of course in France where we played for French/ English dancing.

Al

I had a good laugh this morning when I remembered a French Dance I went to and we played a Polka. There was a mixture of English and French there, The French way of doing the Polka is once again small steps low to the ground lots of spins on the spot, marking time very sedate and smooth. The English were scampering around the hall at speed the exaggerated first step high feet action, manic. At the end of the dance the French came off calmly,coolly and ready for the next dance, The English came off red faced, sweaty and knackered.

Al

I have been playing this new tune for a couple of days now,it is already one of my favourites,see if you agree.

The ending Chris is just for you "Mon Ami"

Al

Bonjour Mazurka/ Waltz (Alan Day)

Nice! For dancing, would you say this works better as a waltz or mazurka? (I sometimes get in trouble at French dances when I play a mazurka too much like a waltz, or a waltz too much like a mazurka).

It is really a varsovienne, not a waltz or mazurka. So you should dance a varsovienne on it. Sadly enough, not many people still know how to dance a varsovienne or a redowa. There are a bunch of dances in 3/4: waltz, mazurka, menuet, varsovienne, redowa, java... And I fear that the French are even loosing the concept of mazurka as well. It's up to us old guys to keep these traditions going.

varsovienne danced on youtube

Interesting dance that I have not seen before,nor does it appear as French, with their traditional dances the feet, are kept very low to the ground.

Thanks for the link.

The usual French Mazurka is alive and well and danced in central London(Bal dances), very strong in Leipzig when I was there and of course in France where we played for French/ English dancing.

Al

This is the best varsovienne dancing performance I found so far:

. It needs a little more tempo though. I remember we played it faster in the old days to get a nice jump and show off moment for the more experienced dancers.