• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brazen Kaine

Brazen Kaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:14 PM

Firstly, I'm a piper. I "2nd" on concertina. I have a Suttner C/G & within 2 wks. I should have my Suttner C#/G#. In addition to all of that. I have a Dipper on order. Orginally, it was to be a C/G w/ the John Williams key system (I direct all enquiries about that to himself. Theres a link to him under the links section of Pauls site). Anyhow, I thought recently that it was absurd to A) have 3 tinas and B) 2 in the same pitch. An A/E would allow me to play with a B set of pipes as opposed to solo or with a stringed instrument capo'd.

We've all heard killer Ab/Eb instruments from both Suttner and Dipper...but I have yet to hear a recording with B pipes and an A/E tina? Firstly, has anyone hear tinas in this pitch? How do they sound?

Thanks

Brazen Kaine

#2 Richard Morse

Richard Morse

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 06:14 AM

Doug (manager of the Button Box) has an A/E concertina which sounds great and is fun to play though he doesn't trot it out much as he's more of a button accordion player.

#3 Ken_Coles

Ken_Coles

Heavyweight Boxer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Location:Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Logansport, Indiana, U.S.A.

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:13 PM

After writing the "available Keys" article, I got interested in these myself. I since have acquired an A/E Lachenal, but it is not in A=440 and I have no reason to alter the tuning. I use it solo or to sing with. It has the lovely deeper tone one also associates with G/D (and Ab/Eb for that matter) concertinas.

#4 rabennett

rabennett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:59 PM

Firstly, I'm a piper. I "2nd" on concertina.

We've all heard killer Ab/Eb instruments from both Suttner and Dipper...but I have yet to hear a recording with B pipes and an A/E tina? Firstly, has anyone hear tinas in this pitch? How do they sound?

Thanks

Brazen Kaine

I'm also a piper who "fills in" on concertina. You didn't say what type of "B" pipes, but if you're talking about a flat set of uilleann pipes - it should work.

My BIG question:

As a piper who "fills in" on concertina, I have five sets of pipes and one concertina. If you are about to have three concertinas, how many sets of pipes do you have?

Extra Credit Question:

Did you just cross over to being a concertina player who doubles on pipes??

Best regards,
Dick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users