6 replies to this topic

#1 michael sam wild

michael sam wild

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Has any change actually come about as a result of these detailed recommendations in ICA mag. . I have seen levers and thumb straps on a Dipper Anglo and a wrist strap, but not much radical surgery. Is it because people don't want to change the instrument unecessarily?

I wonder if the Super Tina envisaged in the current issue is actually a melodeon?

#2 Henrik Müller

Henrik Müller

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Has any change actually come about as a result of these detailed recommendations in ICA mag. . I have seen levers and thumb straps on a Dipper Anglo and a wrist strap, but not much radical surgery. Is it because people don't want to change the instrument unecessarily?

I wonder if the Super Tina envisaged in the current issue is actually a melodeon?

Two things:
1) I don't think people will change their instruments, even in a non-invasive way
2) I (personally) believe that the instrument should be built with the changes, from the start.
3) In general, I have found people a wee bit on the conservative side when it comes to changes (that may take a few days to get used to Posted Image)

Beating my own drum now, but when I started playing my modified design-English in 2006, I couldn't even imagine how much "another (and better) instrument" it would feel 6 years later. It led to a well-defined set of rules - a "system" - for fingering, especially in Irish tunes.

/Henrik

#3 Robin Harrison

Robin Harrison

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

I (personally) believe that the instrument should be built with the changes, from the start.

Some of these changes can be done reversably. I did this on a couple of anglos, found it worked and had it copied and improved on a new instrument.

In general, I have found people a wee bit on the conservative side when it comes to changes (that may take a few days to get used to

Agree; same with note layout. Do you really need a G#/A# in two directions (on a G/D)when there are other notes that are far more useful.
Robin

Attached Thumbnails

• Jeffries thumb strap.jpg
  • Dipper thumb strap.jpg

#4 michael sam wild

michael sam wild

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi Robin
Is that the Dipper you had at the Royal at Bradfield? It seem to have a number of sensible features I have been considering over the years. Maybe I'll get one built one day .. I'll just ahve to sell all the various instrumenst that are not being played B)

I am used to a lever for the air button on a melodeon/button accordion.

#5 Robin Harrison

Robin Harrison

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

.............yep, the same one.
Now I'm getting some technology to bend to my wishes, I'll post a vid. soon of how it looks when being played.
Robin

#6 Bill N

Bill N

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi Robin,

Will you be at the Kiwi this week? I'd love to have a closer look, as I've been thinking of making this modification for playing while standing. I did sort of a half-step on my Tedrow with a thumb loop (basically a looped-around extension of the regular handstrap) which works pretty well, but like the looks of the padded thumbstrap and wrist strap.

bill

#7 Robin Harrison

Robin Harrison

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sure will..........I'll bring along a modified-but-non-permenanly Jeffries. Robin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users