The Thummer (formerly The Jammer)

I would like to say that I wrote effectively the same thing in an article in "English Dance & Song" around 25 years ago - in only 2 pages !

Inventor

I believe that is likely to be the same article that Doug Creighton showed me and to which I refer on the Hayden resource list. It is indeed a concise summary. I have yet to try playing the system seriously (systematically?) myself. So many instruments, so little time.

Ken Coles

I have to admit that while I'm potentially interested in the device, my mind keeps tossing up things like "Thith ith the Thummer of our Dithcontent".

--Dave

Yes, it's a terrible, terrible name.

I'm not sure how much I can add to what has already been said, but with regard to the claims made for it revolutionising pop music in the way the electric guitar did - just remember these contraptions ('nuff said):

link to a picture of a man in a hat playing an omnichord

While it's actually a really flexible instrument, and can make some terrific noises in the right hands, the omnichord died a death because of the simple fact that it didn't look cool. If it doesn't look cool, the majority of image-conscious kids who want to be the next big thing won't touch it.

I would like to say that I wrote effectively the same thing in an article in "English Dance & Song" around 25 years ago - in only 2 pages !

Inventor

I believe that is likely to be the same article that Doug Creighton showed me and to which I refer on the Hayden resource list...

I think he's likely referring to articles that he published in Concertina Magazine (Australia) in the 1980s:

The Hayden System as published in Concertina Magazine (Australia) 8 (Autumn, 1984): 4-8

The Hayden Concertina Keyboard System as published in Concertina Magazine (Australia) 15 (Summer 1986): 11-14)

(Links are to pdf vrsions of the articles.)

The first of the above looks like a good bet, although the second has some followup. Both are found on Bob Gaskins' site's Hayden page. I don't see them mentioned on Ken's resource page, although Bob's site's home page is.

I have to admit that while I'm potentially interested in the device, my mind keeps tossing up things like "Thith ith the Thummer of our Dithcontent".

Yes, it's a terrible, terrible name.

Sounds like you're supposed to play it with your thumb(s) ? :huh:

Like some people really did with the French accordion :

post-436-1123786649_thumb.jpg

What a waste of fingers ! :blink:

Sounds like you're supposed to play it with your thumb(s) ?  :huh:

<snip>

What a waste of fingers !  :blink:

My understanding (from having communicated with JP as a potential beta tester) is that although the fingers play the Hayden-type keys, there are a lot of interesting things for the thumbs to do in between, allowing for numerous effects.

I think he's likely referring to articles that he published in Concertina Magazine (Australia) in the 1980s:

....(snip)

Both are found on Bob Gaskins' site's Hayden page. I don't see them mentioned on Ken's resource page, although Bob's site's home page is.

The article I'm thinking of was indeed EDFSS or CDSS, I'm reasonably certain. I'll dig it out when I'm in Logansport next week. No doubt the others are worth citing; I'm happy to hear suggestions for stuff to put on the resource page, and it's time I reread everything Bob Gaskins has up on his site. (Ken says, looking under the papers on the table for the to-do list).

I did manage to get the 161 page document to download after a good wait on the internet access I use at my local library.  I then just had time to skim through it in the remainding 45 mins of the hour allowed, looking at each page for only a few seconds.  As I totally understand the system I knew exactly what I was looking at; however I doubt if anybody else would have bothered.  If it had been presented as a series of moving slides with sound this might have made sense; but as purely imformation,

Inventor

Thank you for making me aware of these articles, they are so concise, at last I understand! What a very beautiful piece of logic, it's quite brilliant, even without a concertina attached!

Thanks so much, red.

Gentlepersons,

"Hype"? "Self-praise"? Moi? Outrageous! Incredible! ...and (sigh) spot-on, unfortunately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll tone it down.

Some of the details of the Thummer's design can't yet be revealed except under terms of confidentiality. As A.D. Homan suggests, the website is intended mostly for potential investors, but as Henrik Müller points out, there's far too much information scattered around the website to catch the attention of this intended audience. It needs to be shorter and more to the point. I'll fix that.

The PowerPoint presentation was delivered at an academic workshop of the Australian Computer Music Association Conference, to a bunch of serious music theory gear-heads. A lot of the narration is in the "notes pages," which aren't accessible unless the full version of PowerPoint is locally installed (not just the “viewer”). Even then -- you're right -- it's not appropriate as a marketing document. (I may think that the keyboard's consistent fingering across alternative 5-limit Just Intonation tunings is way cool, but it's hardly a "key selling point.") I'll break it up, rewrite it, and add voice-overs accordingly. Thank you for bringing this problem to my attention. :-)

Stuart Estell's comments about the need for the instrument to look cool echo those we've heard from our local beta testers. They were (ahem) initially quite concerned about that (ahem). We've changed the design to place the instrument's appearance under the musician's control, which has apparently turned a weakness into a strength (that is, now it's "The Most Flexible Musical Instrument that the World Has Ever..." oh, never mind).

I also appreciate Brian Hayden's comments. Without Brian’s independent re-invention and promotion of this keyboard layout, I would certainly never have become aware of isomorphic keyboard layouts, and my subsequent application of the principle of isomorphism to other areas of music would never have been sparked. So, Brian, please so not hesitate to lay on the feedback. [i would have sent you one of my earlier prototypes, but they are soooo clunky compared to the new ones that I just couldn’t impose the old design on you. You’ll get one of the new ones soon. I look forward to your comments.]

Jeff, thank you for offering to test the instrument. Can you please email your shipping address to andrew@thumtronics.com, so that we can add you to our list? Please also include in that email some indication of your experience with the Hayden layout.

You're all also correct about PowerPoint being a lousy information distribution format for the Web. There are some nice PowerPoint->Java converters out there, the results of which work in any browser on any platform. I'll fix that, too.

Many others whom I have not named have also provided excellent and candid feedback, for which I thank you. I look forward to receiving equally-candid comments on the instrument itself once I can reveal more details of its design.

I'm keeping the instrument's name, though. I think it'th abtholutely fabulouth, and no one'th going to convinth me otherwithe. :)

Thanks! :)

Jim Plamondon

CEO, Thumtronics

www.thumtronics.com

• 2 months later...