Classical pieces for the EC

tzirtzi

I downloaded the music from Ed's webpage, printed it off, typed out a contents list and made a book.

Here is the contents list.

David's list looks bigger

More to the point, there seems to be very little overlap. Combining the two collections should be very worthwhile. I think David should definitely contact Ed.

It would also be interesting to see whether the pieces found in both lists are simply duplicates, or perhaps distinct arrangements of the same piece.

David's list looks bigger

Thank you, but size doesn't matter.

More to the point, there seems to be very little overlap. Combining the two collections should be very worthwhile. I think David should definitely contact Ed.

I just sent Ed an e-mail summarizing the situation so far and providing a link to this thread. But I would think it's more pertinent that tzirtzi get in touch with us both.

David,

Sorry to have taken a little while to get back to you. I'd be happy to spend the time uploading and entering your collection into the database, and I have the excess storage space - if you could email it to me that would be great. :)

As it does indeed like at least some of Ed's is different, I've PMed him asking if it would be ok to add his to the database as well - although I imagine it'll be fine, as his purpose in putting online was to get it to a larger audience.

This should increase the size of the database considerably! :D

David,

Sorry to have taken a little while to get back to you. I'd be happy to spend the time uploading and entering your collection into the database, and I have the excess storage space - if you could email it to me that would be great. :)

Thanks. I will use the address on your web site that I sent mail to yesterday, unless you tell me to use another address. I have never sent an e-mail with a 160 MB attachment before, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems. What I might wind up doing is sending them each as an attachment to a seperate e-mail. Even then, AOL might balk at letting me send such a package, thinking I might be spamming. I'll find a way to get it to you, even if it means sending them over a span of several days.

I will use the address on your web site that I sent mail to yesterday, unless you tell me to use another address. I have never sent an e-mail with a 160 MB attachment before, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems. What I might wind up doing is sending them each as an attachment to a seperate e-mail. Even then, AOL might balk at letting me send such a package, thinking I might be spamming. I'll find a way to get it to you, even if it means sending them over a span of several days.

David, how difficult would it be for you to make a copy of the CD and just post it to tzirtzi? :unsure:

I will use the address on your web site that I sent mail to yesterday, unless you tell me to use another address. I have never sent an e-mail with a 160 MB attachment before, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems. What I might wind up doing is sending them each as an attachment to a seperate e-mail. Even then, AOL might balk at letting me send such a package, thinking I might be spamming. I'll find a way to get it to you, even if it means sending them over a span of several days.

David, how difficult would it be for you to make a copy of the CD and just post it to tzirtzi? :unsure:

Alternatively, you could use a file sending service where you upload the file and a link gets emailed to the person you want to receive it. The link in their email takes them to a web page where they download the file through their browser. This gets around email attachment file size restrictions as only the link gets mailed to the person, not the file.

http://www.yousendit.com/ is a well known and trusted service. You can use it to send 100Mb files without payment (or larger files with their free trial), so if you can split the files that might do. I get sent a lot of work stuff this way and it has been very reliable.

http://www.sendspace.com/ lets you send files up to 300Mb for free and without registering. I haven't used it much but when I have it worked OK.

Pete

Alternatively, you could use a file sending service where you upload the file and a link gets emailed to the person you want to receive it. The link in their email takes them to a web page where they download the file through their browser. This gets around email attachment file size restrictions as only the link gets mailed to the person, not the file.

http://www.yousendit.com/ is a well known and trusted service. You can use it to send 100Mb files without payment (or larger files with their free trial), so if you can split the files that might do. I get sent a lot of work stuff this way and it has been very reliable.

http://www.sendspace.com/ lets you send files up to 300Mb for free and without registering. I haven't used it much but when I have it worked OK.

Pete

TransferBigFfiles.com works fine and goes up to 1 Gb.

Well, it was easy enough to do by email as it turned out - almost all of the pieces are now in the database. Thanks for the suggestions, though :)

Yes, and it only took ten hours of upload time (in two spurts) as e-mail attachments. All but three of the files have gotten through (two are large files, 15+ MB and yeilded bounce messages from the mailer daemon, the other, a small file, just won't send). I will send them (probably later today) using one of the transfer systems suggested. Thanks for the help.

Edited to add: No, I didn't sit by the computer for 10 hours. I set it going and then went to see the new Star Trek movie, tried out a new restaurant, then came home and went to bed and checked on it in the morning.

Edited by David Barnert