Concert 22 Jan 04

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

For the few of you who happen to be in West Clare, or who are able to make it:

A concert will be held in the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point Co. Clare on saturday 22 january (20.00 h) 2005 to celebrate local girl and cocnertinaplayer Edel Fox' award as TG4 Young Musician of the Year.

Billed as an All Star Concert the line up will include: Paddy Canny, Joe Burke & ZAAnn Conroy-Burke, Jackie Daly, John Carty, concertina and pipes duets Tommy Keane & Jaqueline Mccarthy and Kitty Hayes & Peter Laban, Bird O Donoghue, Dympna O Sullivan and scores more.

Admission is 10 Euro (cheese and wine reception included)

Edited by Peter Laban

I won't be able to make this one, but I'm looking forward to hearing Edel in Corofin for the Festival there in early March. In addition to Edel, Noel Hill and Chris Droney will both be performing for the Saturday afternoon recital http://www.tradfestival.com/headline.htm so she'll be in great company.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

Guest Peter Laban
Hmmm, sounds tempting. I'm going for physiotherapy tomorrow morning, I wonder if my ankle might be fit to drive by Saturday ?

(Maybe not ?)

Ah G'wan, STeve, you know you want to. There will be load of others as well, couldn't remember the line up, it's one of these every man and his dog concerts and it's only up the road.

Hmmm, sounds tempting. I'm going for physiotherapy tomorrow morning, I wonder if my ankle might be fit to drive by Saturday ?

(Maybe not ?)

Ah G'wan, STeve, you know you want to. There will be load of others as well, couldn't remember the line up, it's one of these every man and his dog concerts and it's only up the road.

Oh I want to alright, but I need crutches to walk at the moment, I'm just not sure how you use them to drive ... :huh:

You be careful, Stephen,

Not worth hurting your ankle all over again.

If you go, be careful.

Who will I have to tease if something happened to you?

Oh yeah, Jim.

Be careful anyway. I can tease the both of you and vice versa.

Helen

edited to add *to*

Edited by Helen

Well Stephen, they usually give you two crutches; one for the accelerator and one for the break...uh. brake. The clutch though. Hmmm! you'll have to use your imagination for that!

Best of luck and brea...Have a great time! We expect a full report.

Regards, Greg

The clutch though.  Hmmm!  you'll have to use your imagination for that!

Oh, the clutch is the least of my worries, there is nothing wrong with my left ankle. But otherwise it sounds like I'm going to need four hands ! (One for each crutch, one for the steering & one for the gear change.) And I thought it was a four wheel drive ? :blink:

I'm none too sure about this ! :(

Oh I want to alright, but I need crutches to walk at the moment, I'm just not sure how you use them to drive ...  :huh:

Stephen, surely you have a friend who would also like to go, and who would give you a lift (even if it's in your car). But if not, you could still hitchhike. You can lean on one crutch and use the other like a boom gate to stop the cars... far more effective than a thumb. :ph34r:

Some of you obviously have never been driven by Steve!! Even when he's fully fit St Christopher uses two seat-belts.

Seriously Steve; get well soon mate. I was out with a bad leg and crutches a few years ago and it really isn't a joke.

Mind you as a chronic gout sufferer I'm used to my infirmities being laughed at. Ailments seem to bring out the wicked side in our senses of humour.

Roger

Guest Peter Laban

Steve obviously didn't make it. Meaiti Jo Sheamuis recorded the whoile thing for Radio na gaeltachta so it can be heard there on tuesday night. I iamgine you can download the program from their website.

The concert was brilliant, plenty of concertinaplaying as well as other brilliant stuff, haven't enjoyed a concert as much in a long while. Mad dancing, sets steps and broomdances allover.

Steve obviously didn't make it.

'Fraid not ! Steve found his car had a completely flat battery after sitting idle for seven weeks, plus his weekend guest was worried that his right ankle might give up on him in the middle of nowhere, in the course of a drive of 20-odd miles on narrow, winding, bumpy, hilly roads in the dark.

So we went and had a nice dinner in Kelly's, and then went to the local Saturday night session in the Percy French Bar, where there was :

... plenty of concertina playing ...

Sounds like the alternative was alot more than a consolation event!

Indeed so !

For a start the "Half Roast Duck with Plum Sauce" in Kelly's sure beat the "cheese and wine reception included", but there was some ferocious musical talent due to play at the Armada (if they all turned up ?). For that matter, I do find that nights like that can have too much talent and you don't get a "proper listen" to anybody, nor do they get a chance to "get warmed up".

Anyway, the local session only has four regular musicians, but two of them play Wheatstone Anglos !

Plus, we didn't end up in a ditch somewhere ... :wacko: