Albireo CD "Northern Cross" is now out

hjcjones

"Northern Cross", the first CD by the popular Cheshire-based ceilidh band Albireo, is now out. 14 instrumental tracks of dance music covering three continents and four centuries:

1 The Brazilian (Roseira do Norte)

2 Kempshott Hunt

3 The Railway/Rogues March

4 Gathering Peascods

5 Morning Star/Three Jolly Sheepskins

6 Hudscales/Cat's Cradle/Treacle Town

7 The Hole in the Wall

8 Arkansas Traveller/Bill Cheatham's Reel/The Kitchen Girl

9 Gypsy's Hornpipe/Gloucester Hornpipe

10 The Gallery/The Venus of Levenshulme

11 Alfaz del Pi

12 Graemsay Jig/The Star above the Garter

13 Elzic's Farewell

14 Weavers March

Unusually, the band's line-up includes two concertinas: me on C/G and G/D anglos (and also melodeon and hammered dulcimer) and Steve Hodgskiss on English concertina (and piano). The rest of the line-up is Tom Kitching on fiddle and mandolin, Peter Crowther on bass and keyboard, and Sean Bechhofer on guitar.

The CD costs just £11.00 including p&p (in the UK only). PM me for details, including overseas postage options. It can also be downloaded as mp3s from CD Baby, where you can preview the tracks, and also from iTunes and other online vendors.

post-346-0-69040500-1293557773_thumb.jpg

Great tune, great title. It's by Simon Heywood, and named in honour of a certain young lady of that parish (who it appears was unmoved). According to our bassist Peter Crowther, who was playing in a band with Si at the time, it came second in a tune competition organised by Blowzabella, and Si wrote "The Gallery" to celebrate. Peter brought the set to Albireo, along with his original bass line, in his own words "frozen in time after more than 20 years",

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Howard - my copy of the Albireo CD has just arrived. I guess I am an English dance music enthusiast, so it will come as no surprise that I really enjoyed my first listen to your CD. Some great new tunes and some nice arrangements of some old favourites - the fiddling really makes some of the tunes soar! Chas

"Northern Cross", the first CD by the popular Cheshire-based ceilidh band Albireo, is now out. 14 instrumental tracks of dance music covering three continents and four centuries:

1 The Brazilian (Roseira do Norte)

2 Kempshott Hunt

3 The Railway/Rogues March

4 Gathering Peascods

5 Morning Star/Three Jolly Sheepskins

6 Hudscales/Cat's Cradle/Treacle Town

7 The Hole in the Wall

8 Arkansas Traveller/Bill Cheatham's Reel/The Kitchen Girl

9 Gypsy's Hornpipe/Gloucester Hornpipe

10 The Gallery/The Venus of Levenshulme

11 Alfaz del Pi

12 Graemsay Jig/The Star above the Garter

13 Elzic's Farewell

14 Weavers March

Unusually, the band's line-up includes two concertinas: me on C/G and G/D anglos (and also melodeon and hammered dulcimer) and Steve Hodgskiss on English concertina (and piano). The rest of the line-up is Tom Kitching on fiddle and mandolin, Peter Crowther on bass and keyboard, and Sean Bechhofer on guitar.

The CD costs just £11.00 including p&p (in the UK only). PM me for details, including overseas postage options. It can also be downloaded as mp3s from CD Baby, where you can preview the tracks, and also from iTunes and other online vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Howard it came yesterday. Lovely CD , Talking Cat have done a great job . Benchmark record I reckon. I'm sure we'll here thos etunes around in sessions pretty soon. Any on Youtube ?

Nice to hear Simon Heywood's Venus again, he's in Sheffield nowadaysand still very active .

Mike