Playing A Jeffries

richard

Hello

Compared to playing my Linota, playing my recently acquired Jeffries takes more effort and strength with the bellows to sound.

Is this something others have observed? Could the reeds just be more efficient and more of the air going past the reed is doing it's job, and not escaping through the gap?

I wonder if the reeds just need to be adjusted. u

I am certainly building up more muscle and control.

Any universal truths about Jeffries reeds compared to Wheatstone?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by richard

Is your Jefferies a Bb/F? The are a little larger and heavier which might take more effort when playing.

Hello

Compared to playing my Linota, playing my recently acquired Jeffries takes more effort and strength with the bellows to sound.

Is this something others have observed? Could the reeds just be more efficient and more of the air going past the reed is doing it's job, and not escaping through the gap?

I wonder if the reeds just need to be adjusted. u

I am certainly building up more muscle and control.

Any universal truths about Jeffries reeds compared to Wheatstone?

Thanks,

Richard

Hello again

Yes it is a Bb/F. I forgot to mention that. I know the lower pitched reeds should need more air.

Today I had a revelation that maybe I am trying to play the Jeffries louder than it should be. It is not a softly sounding instrument. Gearoid Ohallmhurain proclaimed it a "cracker". But it is an ivory buttoned 30 button which I have heard can be sweeter toned, and it is! I think when I let up a bit and let the volume be a touch underplayed it feels a bit better.

The bellows are not new and I think might be original, and are in good shape.

It does play well and sound lovely, but as I said I wonder if with some adjustment it could be improved.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Richard

I cheated and looked at your past posts and noticed you had one and figured it might be the one you were asking about. I too have a Bb/F Jefferies. I think you have hit it square on the head. These instruments are made to be played gently. and doing so can greatly improve speed. I know that the weight makes mine more of a workout than my C/G Jeffereies, but it is such a sweet instrument!

If Geardoid Ohallmhurain thought that highly of it, I would guess that it is probably working just fine and might not be worth gambling on someone messing with the reeds unless it is a HIGHLY qualified and experienced repair person.

//Edited to remove previous and unnecessary posts//

Edited by Daniel Bradbury