Can You Damage The Reeds By Playing In Dry Weather?

Azalin

I bought a hygrometer and saw humidity go from 45%, very acceptable, to 30%, very dry, while heating. I am in the process of buying a humidifier to try to keep humidity above 45% in my bedroom, where I'm going to store my concertinas.

I've been told the ideal humidity level for the Dipper was 55%, I imagine it's the same for my vintage concertina. I will be happy with humidity between 45% and 50%.

But the real question is, until I get the humidifier, can I damage the reeds on my concertinas? I'm taking great care of my vintage and Dipper concertinas, and the Dipper was making some strange noises through some reeds, same sound you'd get if you had some dirt in a reed that needed to be cleared out. Is it bad? I remember Colin telling me the reeds can rust if humidity is too high, but I don't remember what can happen if it's too dry.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

I bought a hygrometer and saw humidity go from 45%, very acceptable, to 30%, very dry, while heating. I am in the process of buying a humidifier to try to keep humidity above 45% in my bedroom, where I'm going to store my concertinas.

I've been told the ideal humidity level for the Dipper was 55%, I imagine it's the same for my vintage concertina. I will be happy with humidity between 45% and 50%.

But the real question is, until I get the humidifier, can I damage the reeds on my concertinas? I'm taking great care of my vintage and Dipper concertinas, and the Dipper was making some strange noises through some reeds, same sound you'd get if you had some dirt in a reed that needed to be cleared out. Is it bad? I remember Colin telling me the reeds can rust if humidity is too high, but I don't remember what can happen if it's too dry.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

I've got a Dipper and vintage instruments and also see dry winters here in NYC. I don't have a humidity controlled room or box for them. After 20 years of this my concertinas have not sustained damage that I can observe. Every season though, I do have to open them up and reseat the reeds when/if they start to buzz or rattle. It only takes a few minutes. I slide the reeds out of their slots and push them back in. That usually takes care of it. Also, just by opening up and screwing back the instrument I adjust the end bolt tension which also needs it, like the reeds, twice a year.

I have kept little humidifiers in the cases but watering them every few days is a pain to remember so I've gotten lazy and don't use them anymore.

Humidity primarily affects the wood.

That being said, one thing you do want to avoid is taking a cold instrument into warm humidifed air and then playing it. Let the instrument acclimatize to the temperature first, otherwise as you move warm moist air over cold steel reeds, you will get condensation on the reeds.

Thanks all. Yeah, Colin answered me and told me you couldnt damage the reeds by playing them in dry weather, but yeah the wood is another matter. Anyway, knowing this, I'll play the concertina anyway until I get my humidifier, which should solve the potential problems.