Not sure how old & who made it

Romce

It's an Maccan duet; 39 or 46 key. It'll be worth a few hundred pounds, depending on condition.

Others will recognise the fretwork but odds on it's made by Lachenal perhaps about 1900.

There are two ovals in the ends; there should be paper labels in them; one will give you the maker and the other it's serial number. Tell us what they say.

It's an Maccan duet; 39 or 46 key. It'll be worth a few hundred pounds, depending on condition.

Others will recognise the fretwork but odds on it's made by Lachenal perhaps about 1900.

There are two ovals in the ends; there should be paper labels in them; one will give you the maker and the other it's serial number. Tell us what they say.

It's a 32+1 key on the far left. There is only one oval and no paper labels.

under the key cover there is a #161765

This seems to refer to the "other" thread with identical title to this one, this gets more confusing still!

This seems to refer to the "other" thread with identical title to this one, this gets more confusing still!

Theo,

And even though Romce changed the pics from the duet ones, five minutes after you posted, the fresh ones are of two different Lachenal Anglos - the last pic is of a wooden-ended one that appears to have had the finish sanded off it.

My brain hurts! :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

So is that the last we've heard of Romce?

Has anyone any idea what that was about?

The first post was by accident with wrong pictures. The second post shows my proper pictures of the unit. It is not wooden surface ends it is "silverplated" surface and bone keys. And all I asked if anyone could tell me the age as it appears to be a Lachanale by the marking on the palm rest.

Sorry for confusing everyone. There will be no more threads after this.

The first post was by accident with wrong pictures. The second post shows my proper pictures of the unit. ... It is not wooden surface ends it is "silverplated" surface and bone keys.

Unfortunately, the last of your second batch of photos is confusing the issue (and everybody here) even more, as it is very clearly of the right-hand end of yet another Lachenal concertina, this time probably a 20-key Anglo with plain rosewood ends:

Romces20-key.jpg

Several people have already tried to point this out to you, but you keep saying it isn't so. :huh:

And all I asked if anyone could tell me the age as it appears to be a Lachanale by the marking on the palm rest.

Since they made virtually identical instruments of "standard models" over a period of many years, it's just about impossible to date a Lachenal simply from a photo, beyond what Theo has already told you:

The trade mark on the hand bar identifies this as a Lachenal product. In theory it could have been made any time after 1878 (when the trade mark was registered) and before the mid 1930s when Lachenal went out of business. There should be a serial number marked in several internally which would narrow down the date a bit.

But if you're saying that the serial number is 161765, then an approximate date can be derived based on an average of 3,000 per annum over 70 years, starting at the beginning of 1863, so November 1916 would be the best estimate I can offer at the moment - only that could be a few years out, depending on variables as yet unknown.

Unfortunately there are no ledgers (such as have survived for Wheatstone's) to provide a more authoritatative date for Lachenal concertinas. :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

That tube behind at the rear of the photo looks suspiciously like epoxy resin. If you are repairing the concertinas with that stuff they will be useless in years to come when the new owners have to do some fettling.

It's not been used ( epoxy ).

Any way thank to you all for all your help.Logging off for ever.