Leather Bushes

I was examining a friend's concertina earlier this week to resolve a problem of sticking buttons. This english concertina of possible mixed origins has button bushes made of dark leather rather than the usual red felt. This is the first time I have encountered leather bushes. Is this unusual? I imagine that leather might be harder wearing than felt though I expect that the thickness and tolerances would be more critical.

Incidentally, the 2 or 3 sticking buttons were sorted by cleaning the buttons and cleaning the faces of the leather bushes.

Chas

This is the first time I have encountered leather bushes. Is this unusual?

Chas,

Not unique, but definitely unusual. I don't think any English maker ever used leather bushings on a new instrument, though I have sometimes seen leather used to carry out repairs, no doubt when the repairer didn't have access to suitable woven felt - compressed felt, which can be got more easily, isn't suitable for the job.

I presume you are referring to the circular washers which "damp" the sound of the buttons. The leather bushes I saw were dark coloured and relatively thick and quite smooth, so I believe these weren't chamois leather.

Chas

its not uncommon to see original leather chamois under the buttons though. i don't think in the long run they are as quiet but do hold up longer.

I presume you are referring to the circular washers which "damp" the sound of the buttons. The leather bushes I saw were dark coloured and relatively thick and quite smooth, so I believe these weren't chamois leather.

Chas

its not uncommon to see original leather chamois under the buttons though. i don't think in the long run they are as quiet but do hold up longer.

what about shamwow's? does anyone use shamwow's as bushing?

Chas

what about shamwow's? does anyone use shamwow's as bushing?

Wouldn't the shamwows absorb all the sound? :rolleyes:

Greg

"Wouldn't the shamwows absorb all the sound? "---Greg

Only with wet tuned concertinas!

for those that wish to absorb all the sound there is:

the definition of perfect pitch....... when you toss the accordion and it lands square in the dumpster! insert concertina if you so desire :huh: