A good day, a good week

Hello on a stormy Florida Sunday.

Any day with a new song is a good day, but a week with three new songs is wonderful. I read music well, but enjoy playing by ear, especially because these stay in my head and the wonderful part of playing the Anglo is sitting down somewhere and playing unencumbered by a music stand.

I can play for about an hour now without repeating, and this week worked out Muss I Denn, The Happy Wanderer, and The Song from Moulin Rouge.

NNY :-)

Any day with a new song is a good day, but a week with three new songs is wonderful. I read music well, but enjoy playing by ear, especially because these stay in my head and the wonderful part of playing the Anglo is sitting down somewhere and playing unencumbered by a music stand.

I can play for about an hour now without repeating, and this week worked out Muss I Denn, The Happy Wanderer, and The Song from Moulin Rouge.

get down with your bad self!

congrats! which song from moulin rouge? i have lately decided to start doing some pop/etc music, and i love that movie, so i might have to learn it too. do you mind posting your version, or at least emailing it? i'm always excited to hear how people deal with music like that on the concertina, cuz so few people do.

there's few feelings as great as learning good tunes, learning them well, and learning them quickly. this past couple weeks or so i've been on a tune spree. after years and years of having a small repertoire and working on technique, just recently i've decided to expand my repertoire.

here's what i've been learning:

"Boys Of Ballisadare/Comb Your Hair And Curl It/The Foxhunter's" off of noel hill's irish concertina two. there's some reels in that set, too, but i only worked on those during one practice session so it doesnt count.

"kitty live over/munster buttermilk" off o fkitty lie over

"shandon bells/jackson's" off of brian rooney's leitrim to london

"I'm The Boy For Bewitching Them/The Man Who'll Never Be Able/The Night Poor Larry Got Stretched" off of chulrua's down the back lane.

jodies arrangment of the trumpet hornpipe.

i also started making arrangements for cold play's "viva la vida," "concerning hobbits" from lord of the rings, "get back" by the beatles, "black bird" cover by john denver and hungarian rhapsody #5.

i've decided that now as soon as i know almost all the notes of a tune in the last tune of a set, i have to add another set to my queue, while continually working on the others. that way i'll always be expanding my repertoire. initially i was also making sure every day i worked on a tune in a flat key, but i have so much on my plate i'm letting that go to the wayside.

"congrats! which song from moulin rouge? i have lately decided to start doing some pop/etc music, and i love that movie, so i might have to learn it too. do you mind posting your version, or at least emailing it? i'm always excited to hear how people deal with music like that on the concertina, cuz so few people do.

there's few feelings as great as learning good tunes, learning them well, and learning them quickly. this past couple weeks or so i've been on a tune spree. after years and years of having a small repertoire and working on technique, just recently i've decided to expand my repertoire.

i've decided that now as soon as i know almost all the notes of a tune in the last tune of a set, i have to add another set to my queue, while continually working on the others. that way i'll always be expanding my repertoire. initially i was also making sure every day i worked on a tune in a flat key, but i have so much on my plate i'm letting that go to the wayside.

"

Nice to hear from you. This is the original Moulin Rouge movie from the 1950's about Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, and not the later one with pop music. The song is literally "The Song from Moulin Rouge", although it is also known as "Where is Your Heart" (you can find it on Youtube). I have been trying to work on romantic songs lately, as one of the venues I get to play in favors those.

I try to learn a couple tunes a week, and my cheat sheet now has at least an hour's worth of tunes.

I don't have the technology to post vids yet, but I am ambitious to get set up for Youtube postings.

NNY

Nice to hear from you. This is the original Moulin Rouge movie from the 1950's about Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, and not the later one with pop music. The song is literally "The Song from Moulin Rouge", although it is also known as "Where is Your Heart" (you can find it on Youtube). I have been trying to work on romantic songs lately, as one of the venues I get to play in favors those.

I try to learn a couple tunes a week, and my cheat sheet now has at least an hour's worth of tunes.

I don't have the technology to post vids yet, but I am ambitious to get set up for Youtube postings.

NNY

ahhh, i see. i had no idea it was a remake with (obviously) very little to do with the original. i'm even mroe intrigued.

please do let me know when you get your set up figured out to post vids. it's not too bad... all you need is a webcam or a digital camera that you can record and then hook up to the computer.

listening to the song, that actually seems like it would be a challenge on the concertina. the notes wouldnt be too bad, but i cant think of what i would do with it and how i would phrase it to do it justice.