Key of D

Frankie

Hello,

I have a Rochelle Anglo and I'm attempting my first tunes in the key of D. The concertina doesn't have a pull c# button. What do other people do? Do you use push keys for B, D and E when you are playing in D, or change bellows direction every time you meet a c#?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Frankie

I suposse has to do with the bounciness you want to give to the tune.

For Irish music - my only experience on the instrument - I do use the push notes you mentioned. But if it is, say, a hornpipe and only very occasionaly uses the c#, then I pick it with a fast bellows change. In some tunes, sometimes I use both c# - push and pull, I have a Jeffries layout in my 'tina -.

Probably it's the reason because most irish players favour a Jeffries layout instead. Some of them even order their instruments with the c# both in the push / pull on same button.

Cheers,

Fer

Edited by Fergus_fiddler

...For Irish music - my only experience on the instrument - I do use the push notes you mentioned. But if it is, say, a hornpipe and only very occasionaly uses the c#, then I pick it with a fast bellows change. In some tunes, sometimes I use both c# - push and pull -.

Probably it's the reason because most irish players favour a Jeffries layout instead. Some of them even order their instruments with the c# both in the push / pull on same button.

Cheers,

Fer

I have a Jeffries C/G Layout. It has both a push-pull c#; both right next to each other.

I don't know what I would do, but just use the only C# that I had; no way out of it, unless you went out and bough a Jeffries C/G concertina; but it would be a long wait I think... I had to wait 5 months for mine; it was my first concertina, even though it came from the Button Box in America. :lol:

As far as I know, Noel Hill plays with a Wheatstone/Lachenal layout and he's nothing short of ashtonishing... At the end of the day, it seems that has more to do with what you get accustomed to.

I had to wait only a week for my Ceilí :P Secondhand, but pristine condition ;)

Cheers,

Fer

...I had to wait only a week for my Ceilí :P Secondhand, but pristine condition ;)

Cheers,

Fer

Mine was brand new. :P I was so excited when it came in the mail, because I had been waiting for it for such a long time. :D I remember the day; the 7th of March 2007. :rolleyes: 8:53am. :D

Regards,

Patrick

P.S. Are all Wheatstone concertinas in English; not Anglo?

P.P.S. Earlier on at about 6:30, I walked into the side of my bedroom;OUCH :wacko: :( I wonder if another one would've made me fall unconscious. I reckon you would feel really bad if you fell unconscious; but probably not from walking into the sharp bit on the side of a wooden door. ;) I always thought that I had a hard head. :D I wonder if I will fall unconscious in my life-time... :mellow: I won't wait for that time though

Edited by Patrick King

Not at all. As far as I know, Wheatstone invented the english system. Then, when the anglo-german system became popular, Wheatstone begun to produce anglo instruments of a lot better quality than the chea german ones.

Cheers,

Fer

Not at all. As far as I know, Wheatstone invented the english system. Then, when the anglo-german system became popular, Wheatstone begun to produce anglo instruments of a lot better quality than the chea german ones.

Cheers,

Fer

Yes, I knew that Wheatstone made the English layout concertinas; but I wonder if that's all they make. All the Wheatstone concertinas that I've seen are English... Probably because the person who designed the Wheatstone concertina, Charles Wheatstone, was an English-man. :D

Yes, I knew that Wheatstone made the English layout concertinas; but I wonder if that's all they make. All the Wheatstone concertinas that I've seen are English... Probably because the person who designed the Wheatstone concertina, Charles Wheatstone, was an English-man. :D

Ah, but to tune them he used an anglo-file.
B)

But if you want to educate yourself about concertinas, you need to look further than your neighbors. Try the Search facility here (there are 3 levels; go to the deepest) and look for posts which have both the words "Wheatstone" and "anglo", or "Wheatstone" and "duet". Then search on "Jones", "Nickolds", "Lachenal", etc. That should keep you busy for a few months! :D

Or just search for "Wheatstone" in the Buy & Sell subforum. You'll see a great variety of different kinds of concertina. And of course, Wheatstone isn't the only firm that made more than one kind.

Ah, but to tune them he used an anglo-file.
B)

But if you want to educate yourself about concertinas, you need to look further than your neighbors. Try the Search facility here (there are 3 levels; go to the deepest) and look for posts which have both the words "Wheatstone" and "anglo", or "Wheatstone" and "duet". Then search on "Jones", "Nickolds", "Lachenal", etc. That should keep you busy for a few months! :D

Or just search for "Wheatstone" in the Buy & Sell subforum. You'll see a great variety of different kinds of concertina. And of course, Wheatstone isn't the only firm that made more than one kind.

I think it may only keep me busy for a week the way I do things. :lol: ;)

Try the Search facility here (there are 3 levels; go to the deepest) and look for posts which have both the words "Wheatstone" and "anglo", or "Wheatstone" and "duet". Then search on "Jones", "Nickolds", "Lachenal", etc. That should keep you busy for a few months! :D

Overconfidently?

Incompletely?

I just did the +Wheatstone +anglo combination against all Discussion Forums, and it gave me 24 pages of results, with this comment: "(Search results limited to first 1000)". B) Curious, since 24x25 (pages x per page) is only 600 (really 595, since the last page isn't full). But that's threads, not individual posts. :ph34r:

Tell us in a week how far you've gotten, eh?

But have fun.
:)

Try the Search facility here (there are 3 levels; go to the deepest) and look for posts which have both the words "Wheatstone" and "anglo", or "Wheatstone" and "duet". Then search on "Jones", "Nickolds", "Lachenal", etc. That should keep you busy for a few months! :D

Overconfidently?

Incompletely?

I just did the +Wheatstone +anglo combination against all Discussion Forums, and it gave me 24 pages of results, with this comment: "(Search results limited to first 1000)". B) Curious, since 24x25 (pages x per page) is only 600 (really 595, since the last page isn't full). But that's threads, not individual posts. :ph34r:

Tell us in a week how far you've gotten, eh?

But have fun.
:)

:blink: I think 'overconfidently' is the real word... There's my reading set... :D