strange shape

Marien

I would not be surprised if someone said it was civil warish (1860-ish).

Post Franco-Prussian War more like, so no earlier than the 1870s. Here's an even more unusually-shaped one, expressing the same nationalist/militaristic sentiments:

pickel.jpg

You won't have to worry about anyone accidently sitting on it :o

Elephants call it a dracula concertina...

Hmmm, maybe somebody should write a thesis about The rise of the piano accordion, and the fall of the British Empire... ponder2.gif

Is it the empire or the curerncy that is falling?

I'm speaking historically, of the demise of the British Empire around half a century ago. :huh:

If only we'd kept to playing our concertinas... :rolleyes:

Half a century ago? You mean the British empire fell before Thatcher? She never told us that. B)

But you are right, playing concertina is more fun then history... :)

Half a century ago? You mean the British empire fell before Thatcher? She never told us that. B)

Marien: your sense of humour is so wonderfully off-bat that I think you must have some English blood in you.

Ian

Marien: your sense of humour is so wonderfully off-bat that I think you must have some English blood in you.

Ian

Hmm... I am not a native speaker, does off-bat mean that I am bouncing a cricket ball in an unexpected (wrong) way?

Apart from the Dutch, Flemish, Portuguese, Frysian, Jewish, French, Italian, Irish, Indonesian, Spanish fluids and the whiskey from the Orkneys I lately drank, there may be some English blood in me, but I didn't drink it. In some geneologybook I found that (maybe) one of my 8192 ancestors was (possibly) English (although he originally came from France) (so it says) (if I remember well). Anyhow, I am sure that one of my ancestors will have lived somewhere in the late British Empire.

Hmm... I am not a native speaker, does off-bat mean that I am bouncing a cricket ball in an unexpected (wrong) way?

Strangely, I don't find this in a dictionary. To me it means somewhat odd or eccentric but not in a negative way.

Ian