Recession and the music.

There are quite a few threads about the impact of economics on festivals etc.

In the past hard times sent people away for work and their nostalgia and loneliness forced them to congregate for music etc that reminded them of home. Chicago, New York, Manchester, London, Melborne etc were centres for Irish music in the 1890s, 19220s, 50s 60s . This even fed back to the home country.

Where will young people go now if things get bad? And what kind of music will they seek out or wish to play?

Sometimes hard times are accompanied by a desire for communal values and identity and coupled with anger at the causes of recession can lead to a shift of conciousness. On the other hand we have also witnessed the flourishing of 'trad' music in times of prosperity as people had time for alternative lifestyles and travel, second homes and the money to buy expensive concertinas etc! Sometimes this leads to appropriation of other cultures.

Can we even begin to guess the future?

Has any one any interesting scenarios for the next revival?

Miker

As I'm getting hardly any interest on my savings...I thought maybe investing in a musical instrument might be safer and have a better return ;) plus I get something that can occupy me without costing in electricity.

Things being so different these days with the internet, video games, etc., there are many more avenues people can take to pass their time. Most young people I know would rather sit in front of the computer all day, recession or no. (Except you LDT)

To me, most of the music coming out these days isn't a step forward or backward for that matter. Maybe sideways?

Communications are so advanced now that area culture seems to be diminishing. You no longer just have the music, stories and history of a limited geographical boundary. People get these on a global basis now, which causes music to be generated helter skelter.

A popular song or style in one country can be almost instantly made popular in another, and, conversely, due to the great, coin operated advertising industry, the popularity fades as quickly since there seems to be a "new" best seller every week.

Things are moving so fast, there's no time to generate or retain area cultures. The best case I can think of is Japanese culture. They once took great pride in their unique culture. Now it seems the last 2 generations would rather have American or European products, music and even values.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing. I guess it makes it easier for different peoples to understand one another, but it just seems a shame for us to lose the individuality we once had.

Things being so different these days with the internet, video games, etc., there are many more avenues people can take to pass their time. Most young people I know would rather sit in front of the computer all day, recession or no. (Except you LDT)

Playing Wii Music perhaps?

A popular song or style in one country can be almost instantly made popular in another, and, conversely, due to the great, coin operated advertising industry, the popularity fades as quickly since there seems to be a "new" best seller every week.

Things are moving so fast, there's no time to generate or retain area cultures. The best case I can think of is Japanese culture. They once took great pride in their unique culture. Now it seems the last 2 generations would rather have American or European products, music and even values.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing. I guess it makes it easier for different peoples to understand one another, but it just seems a shame for us to lose the individuality we once had.

Answer

Isn't it complex?

I grew up in a community with all of the elements of a working class communal culture that many today would envy. Despite our displacemet, or because of it, we were surounded by talented musicians, dancers, storytellers and several generations of relatives who knew where we came from and who was who.

Then we discovered 1920s trad jazz , Burl Ives made American 'folk' music popular and we teenagers discovered Woodie Guthrie, Big Bill Broonzy . Pete Seeger then Lonnie Donegan and Elvis came on the radio and I was gobsmacked and picked up a cheap plywood guitar for 4 quid and formed a skiffle group. I didn't really want to bother with what I grew up with, I was part of a new urban youth culture and wanted to express myself within its music and the scene! Others progressed this and it led to Rock and Pop.

In search of tunes, however, I asked my Dad who was born in 1908 and I got lots of his Irish and Republican songs and became a 'folkie' or 'trad' musician. These we presented in a our 'jazzed up' way to his disapproval but also his appreciation that at least we took them aboard. A bit like The Dubliners and The Pogues did a lot later I suppose.Then I heard all the old traditional singers we met in the 1950s and 60s, who I love to this day. They were supported by this new wave of stimulated youngsters, many of whom became more folkie than 'the Folk'

Now I wonder, at 69 years of age, where it is all going.

Will a new wave of expatriates go to Australia, India or to Japan or China to work in the IT industries and turn on the local 'yoot' with their own music and take on the local music culture to form a fusion music. Or will they stay at home and come up with a new punk culture and do a Specials and take on the music of alienated youngsters who came here with the same dreams of advancement?.

'This Country is Comin' like a Ghost Country.

As I'm getting hardly any interest on my savings...I thought maybe investing in a musical instrument might be safer and have a better return ;) plus I get something that can occupy me without costing in electricity.

I recently 'rescued' the remainder of an ISA (the kind linked to shares) that had been losing money steadily since 2001. Now, I have absolutely no change left over - but a lovely 1927 ebony-ended Wheatstone Aeola.

I thought that, rather than sit there and carry on losing value, the money would be put to better use on something that will give me pleasure. The hope is that my playing will eventually do the same for others :blink:

aeola61 (new to concertina.net - hope I've done this right) :huh:

I recently 'rescued' the remainder of an ISA (the kind linked to shares) that had been losing money steadily since 2001. Now, I have absolutely no change left over - but a lovely 1927 ebony-ended Wheatstone Aeola.

I thought that, rather than sit there and carry on losing value, the money would be put to better use on something that will give me pleasure. The hope is that my playing will eventually do the same for others :blink:

Always a good argument for another concertina. 'It's not a waste of money, it's an investment'

An aeola eh? Talk about starting at the top! More by luck than judgement my first 'box was a good one and I think the sheer quality of the thing encouraged me to stick with it, so I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Most young people I know would rather sit in front of the computer all day, recession or no. (Except you LDT)

Errr... DrBones, LDT DOES sit in front of a computer all day, typing comments into this site & others. Between work, sleep and adding comments to concertina.net, I believe she wouldn't be able to fit in ANY concertina practice.

Always a good argument for another concertina. 'It's not a waste of money, it's an investment'

An aeola eh? Talk about starting at the top! More by luck than judgement my first 'box was a good one and I think the sheer quality of the thing encouraged me to stick with it, so I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Since I started playing last June, I've moved in fairly quick succession from a "Jackie", to a rosewood ended wheatstone, to the current Aeola. Kept promising myself that if I carried on practising and playing I would upgrade in - say - one year's time. But the timetable slipped a bit.

I now feel that my playing needs to keep improving, to justify having such an instrument!

It seems as though a lot of other people are having similar thoughts about "investing" in a concertina. I bought it from Chris Algar, who said he's never been so busy - the concertinas are flying off his shelves (so to speak).

2015 Shipping companies begin deploying economic wind powered vessels to globally transport hemp products and

durable goods. sailors on these vessels come from China and bring low cost chinese Anglo concertinas with them

and during the long voyages become very skilled players of hornpipes.

Hornpipe dancing becomes a worldwide phenomena outselling pilates and yoga videos and classes combined.

2020 Governments begin crackdown on what it deems wasteful uses of electricity - rock concerts, night football games, carnivals,

, television, posting online blogs about the government...

Metallica reforms as an all concertina heavy metal band.

2025 obeying his calling , Lars Ronson builds a 70 foot Bose speaker, which the faithful will hide in while the rest of the world

descends into a utter hell of chess games, walks on beaches, meaningful discussions at family dinners, and homemade music.

2025 obeying his calling , Lars Ronson builds a 70 foot Bose speaker, which the faithful will hide in while the rest of the world

descends into a utter hell of chess games, walks on beaches, meaningful discussions at family dinners, and homemade music.

I suspect our real future will sadly be less pleasant than the one you outline.

Ian

'Morris - a Life with Bells' is a runaway global success. Youngsters take it up and fuse it with martial arts and breakdancing in mixed gender groups then start dressing like the characters in 'A Clockwork Orange' and playing electronic music on things no bigger than Blackberries.

Discerning musicians withdraw savings buy up accoustic instruments off eBay and set up secret sessions in hospitabe locations

2015 Shipping companies begin deploying economic wind powered vessels ...

Hornpipe dancing becomes a worldwide phenomena outselling pilates ...

Would those be "pilates of the Caribbean"?

My own thought is that with everybody on HP up to the eyeballs, lovers of traditional song will be going back to the sauce singers for inspiration.

(If that pun works at all, it will probably only do so in the UK.)

A more serious answer is that as times are getting harder, I'm more likely to stay in and play than go out and spend money. Once you have a decent instrument, playing it is free. Nearly all other toys, activities and sports cost money - you even need to pay for a licence and the ower to operate your TV. And a concertina won't need replacing after 10 years.

My own thought is that with everybody on HP up to the eyeballs, lovers of traditional song will be going back to the sauce singers for inspiration.

(If that pun works at all, it will probably only do so in the UK.)

And only with some specific English accents - not at all with Scots or Welsh accents ;)