Wheatstone vs Lachenal EC Reed Frame Sizes

Some time ago i bought a 48 key EC Lachenal # 50382 approx 1918 with the view to restoring it but my 48 key EC Wheatstone # 3078 circa 1851 , had a broken reed so i thought no problem i will take one out of the Lachenal, but no go as the reed frames are narrower and thus they wont fit easily without a lot of shimming , so i was wondering when did the reed frame sizes change or have the Wheatstone frames always been slightly wider then the Lachenal equivalents .

I appreciate that early Wheatstones had reeds possibly made by Lachenal fitted , but when Louis set up on his own did he have to change the reed frame size for legal reasons i wonder or was it possibly to reduce the weight /cost a little .

Any thought on this subject much appreciated.

Mike

Some time ago i bought a 48 key EC Lachenal # 50382 approx 1918 with the view to restoring it but my 48 key EC Wheatstone # 3078 circa 1851 , had a broken reed so i thought no problem i will take one out of the Lachenal, but no go as the reed frames are narrower and thus they wont fit easily without a lot of shimming , so i was wondering when did the reed frame sizes change or have the Wheatstone frames always been slightly wider then the Lachenal equivalents .

I appreciate that early Wheatstones had reeds possibly made by Lachenal fitted , but when Louis set up on his own did he have to change the reed frame size for legal reasons i wonder or was it possibly to reduce the weight /cost a little .

Any thought on this subject much appreciated.

Mike

Between 1851 and 1918, (67 years ) I expect there were a lot of changes that took place. I wouldn't count on a 1918 Wheatstone having the same reed frame size either. That isn't counting the long scale short scale issue either and any variations therein. Switching out reed frames is a quick fix when it works, but get someone to make you a new reed. It isn't a big job. If they have the neighboring note reeds to compare it to, they should be able to make one that closely matches the original and goes with the set, where a reed from a different make/ era of instrument may be quite different in it's profiling style.

Dana

Hi Dana ,

Many thanks for your input here as it is much appreciated.

My main interest being reed frames around the 1850s era with referance to sizes makers etc so as to know what to look out for, so as to be able to swop over frames if damaged broken etc in the future.

I did however manage to replace the broken tongue after finding a small sheet of 1950s marine (ex RN) brass that was the right thickness then cut to size , it only needed a very slight tuning adjustment which was lucky and now sounds good , i will just have to see how long it will last but still ok so far.

Mike

Hi Dana ,

Many thanks for your input here as it is much appreciated.

My main interest being reed frames around the 1850s era with referance to sizes makers etc so as to know what to look out for, so as to be able to swop over frames if damaged broken etc in the future.

I did however manage to replace the broken tongue after finding a small sheet of 1950s marine (ex RN) brass that was the right thickness then cut to size , it only needed a very slight tuning adjustment which was lucky and now sounds good , i will just have to see how long it will last but still ok so far.

Mike

Good find, bet it will last a long time.

Is your Lachenal brass reeded too? If not brass and steel reeds require different dimensions for the same note for an optimal reed. perhaps this is the real source of the difference.

Dana

Hi Dana , Yes my Lachenal is brass reeded #50382 circa 1918 the frames being slightly narrower and slightly longer than the Wheatstone brass reeded Frames. (both frames have the 2 screw tongue clamp fittings )

Incidentally we had quite a bit of that brass sheet but its about all gone now, as only one small piece left, but even so enough for many reed replacements if necessary.

Mike