Armagh Polka (John Ryan's)

I posted a clip of the Armagh polka (aka John Ryan's) played very slowly on a C/G Wheatstone Anglo.

It might be useful for somebody learning to play across the rows in the key of D.

Armagh Polka

The fingering closely follows Noel Hill's Method. However, the Wheatstone, unlike the Jeffries, does not have a draw C# on the RH accidental row (like the Jackie and the Stagi).

In any case, I use the LH B press for the triplet (B,C#,D) that follows the trumpeted D D that starts the tune and the LH draw B the rest of the time.

I posted a clip of the Armagh polka (aka John Ryan's) played very slowly on a C/G Wheatstone Anglo.

It might be useful for somebody learning to play across the rows in the key of D.

Armagh Polka

The fingering closely follows Noel Hill's Method. However, the Wheatstone, unlike the Jeffries, does not have a draw C# on the RH accidental row (like the Jackie and the Stagi).

In any case, I use the LH B press for the triplet (B,C#,D) that follows the trumpeted D D that starts the tune and the LH draw B the rest of the time.

Sorry, a little off topic ....

Hmmm interesting. I've never heard it called the Armagh Polka before.

Any idea how it came by that name David?

I know there's more than one Carrickfergus & Ballycastle, so is there perhaps another Armagh in Co Kerry? ;)

Cheers

Dick

I've been playing it for years but never had a name for it. Polkas are the bastard children of ITM. Recently Alan Miller mentioned that they were playing it in Boston and gave the "Armagh" name for it. In scouting around just now I see that it's known by many names, as is the case with other polkas.

"John Ryan's Polka" is also known as "The Forty Pound Float", "Armagh Hornpipe", "Death From Above", "Hills Of Connemara", "Jack Ryan's", "Keadue", "Psycho(?)" "Tjum Tjum,' and, most recently, "The Titanic Polka."

• 2 weeks later...
"John Ryan's Polka" is also known as "The Forty Pound Float", "Armagh Hornpipe", "Death From Above", "Hills Of Connemara", "Jack Ryan's", "Keadue", "Psycho(?)" "Tjum Tjum,' and, most recently, "The Titanic Polka."

"Death from Above" seems the most realistic name. I mean, it's the most likely than can happen to you when somebody throws you a pint meanwhile you're playing the over-over-played tune at the best of the session :P

Nice video, tho :)

Cheers,

Fer