New Concertina Forum!

Following on from my list of English Concertina players in Scotland, I decided to try a Forum especially designed to promote an interest in Concertinas in Scotland.

This new forum is certainly not being set up to compete with this excellent forum here. For a start, it will not be covering the wide ranging & detailed Concertina topics which are dealt with so expertly here already. Let's face it, it couldn't possibly hope to compete. No, it is designed simply to find out how many Concertina players there actually are in Scotland & perhaps encourage more contact between them & help them to stay in touch with one another & so hopefully strengthen the Scottish Concertina community.

If you get a spare minute why not check it out & please feel free to offer any advice or criticism. It was only launched today so it'll be a while before it's anywhere near complete, so now would be a good time to give me some suggestions on how I might improve it.

7.gif Concertinas in Scotland

Cheers

Dick

Dick, with respect, isn't this just another 'minority interest' forum, largely doomed to the sadness of under subscription? Some time ago I joined your forum dedicated to the Hammered Dulcimer which enjoys very little activity. I admire your stamina and I wish you every success with your venture but trying to split what is already a minority interest into regional status is I'm afraid doomed to failure in my opinion.

Sorry mate,

Pete

Dick, with respect, isn't this just another 'minority interest' forum, largely doomed to the sadness of under subscription? Some time ago I joined your forum dedicated to the Hammered Dulcimer which enjoys very little activity. I admire your stamina and I wish you every success with your venture but trying to split what is already a minority interest into regional status is I'm afraid doomed to failure in my opinion.

Sorry mate,

Pete

Yeah, I know what your saying Pete, but I find it interesting to note that of the 50+ English Concertina players I've tracked down in Scotland over the past few weeks, I believe only 3 or 4 would actually be active on this forum & I don't believe many more are even members, so for a start, there are very few to even split!

Of course this may well mean that none of the others are interested in getting involved with forums, but I won't find that out unless I at least try.

Also, there is very little overlap between what my wee forum is trying to cover anyway & the broad spectrum covered on this forum, so I certainly will not be pulling anyone away from this forum!

I'm not actually setting out to have a busy, busy forum like this one & I know I won't get anything like the number of visits my Dulcimer Forum gets. I'm pleased to know that 161 folk were interested enough to join the Dulcimer forum, even although few bother taking the time or trouble to write, that's OK, but it still gets on average between 80 & 100 visits each day, which I'm quite happy with.

At the very least, it just gives me something else to do, when my fingers get sore from playing, & hopefully saves me from ending up brain dead in front of the goggle box! ;)

So I guess it boils down to what you consider a success & a failure. Before I started my list, Simon Thoumire told me there were only a handful of English Concertina players in Scotland. My list proved otherwise, so I consider that was a great success.

So I'll be happy too, if I find a few more names with this forum ... anything else will be a bonus.

As for Regional splits, can you really see anyone from Wales or England actually bothering to set one of these up? :)

Cheers

Dick

As for Regional splits, can you really see anyone from Wales or England actually bothering to set one of these up? :)

Cheers

Dick

No I can't Dick, and I wasn't at all suggesting that you were trying to set up a 'rival' forum, just that you might be somewhat surprised (and therefore disappointed) at the lack of response I suspect you may have. Once again I wish you the greatest of luck with the project and do tell any 'shy' Scottish concertina players that they are more than welcome here too!

do tell any 'shy' Scottish concertina players that they are more than welcome here too!

Oh yes Pete, absolutely .... the first thing you see on my forum are links to this site & forum!

Believe me, I'll be delighted if I can drum up even just a little more support for HQ here! ;)

Cheers

Dick

I like it, Dick. :)

But this bit in the Introduction did make me laugh. A little touch of music surreality for anyone who doesn't know you. :D

Once you have registered, you will receive an E-mail, hopefully within 24 hours, asking you to send me a short E-mail in reply, with a little information about your own interest in Dulcimers. Once I have verified that you are a genuine enthusiast I will 'activate' your account & you will be able to join in the fun here.

I'm writing my email now......

I like it, Dick. :)

But this bit in the Introduction did make me laugh. A little touch of music surreality for anyone who doesn't know you. :D

Once you have registered, you will receive an E-mail, hopefully within 24 hours, asking you to send me a short E-mail in reply, with a little information about your own interest in Dulcimers. Once I have verified that you are a genuine enthusiast I will 'activate' your account & you will be able to join in the fun here.

I'm writing my email now......

Drat! I thought I'd sniffed & snuffed out all those pesky Dulcimers! :angry:

The darn things get everywhere! :lol:

I'm off to exterminate ........

So that is your secret you are really a Dalek. lol!

Och, surely you know better than that LDT, Daleks don't simply exterminate, they ....

EXTERMINATE! ... EXTERMINATE! ... EXTERMINATE! :lol:

Edited by Ptarmigan

Och, surely you know better than that LDT, Daleks don't simply exterminate, they ....

A scottish Dalek...now that gives me an idea......

A scottish Dalek...now that gives me an idea......

HA! Now your wondering if THEY would wear anything under it, aren't you! :ph34r: