A Small Collection of Free Reeds?

I was sorting through some old photographs and came across one my brother sent me some years ago. I've had to split it into two parts to upload it to FLICKR here :-

Free Reeds

the big beastie in the midddle looks interesting!! I counted 46 buttons on the side you can see.

The lady Ruth Askew takes this collection around the Steam/County fairs of the south west.

See here for a book about her :- Ruth Askew

and here :- Ruth Askew again

regards

Jake

It's a Maccan layout Aeola, Jake,as you probably knew; but the biggest usual size (81) has 44 + air (I think) on the treble side, and the overall size is huge; perhaps to fit in deeper reeds?

From the other bits you noted it seems the lady is a melodion player. Shame if an interesting brute like that is reduced to being purely an exhibit.

hi all

I saw this collection at the dorset steam fair a few years ago there were several anglos, the lady had a jeffries anglo and was playing

a scan tester tune .I was able to tell her the name of the tune and had a squeez on the jeffries.So that was a good day out.

cplayer

I was sorting through some old photographs and came across one my brother sent me some years ago. I've had to split it into two parts to upload it to FLICKR here :-

Free Reeds

the big beastie in the midddle looks interesting!! I counted 46 buttons on the side you can see.

The lady Ruth Askew takes this collection around the Steam/County fairs of the south west.

See here for a book about her :- Ruth Askew

and here :- Ruth Askew again

regards

Jake

Cripy! is that a concertina or a stop sign?

81 Key Double reeded McCann.

16 inches across flats.

No, I will not make one.

Geoff

That's OK, I don't think I wanted one anyway. (Wouldn't mind a go on it though!)

Given that you can make quite a racket with a normal duet, do you think it came with complementary ear muffs?

Free Reeds

Very nice picture, thanks! I liked it enough to stitch the two together, adjust the contrast a bit, and rotate it to fairly level. If anyone wants to see the whole thing, I posted it here (about 500K):

http://concertina.JeffLeff.com/graphics/AskewColl.jpg