Am I a musician?

What's wrong with hiding your light under a bushel anyway?

It's selfish, for a start. Most people that I know disapprove of selfishness.

Cheers,

John

Please consider the possibility that it might be sheer, unadulterated terror.

Some of us carry way too much emotional baggage regarding performance. We need to get over it, yes, but in the meantime there it is.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with hiding your light under a bushel anyway?

It's selfish, for a start. Most people that I know disapprove of selfishness.

Cheers,

John

Please consider the possibility that it might be sheer, unadulterated terror.

Some of us carry way too much emotional baggage regarding performance. We need to get over it, yes, but in the meantime there it is.

It might be coz we don't think there is a light there.....or for your own good. ;)

Guest Peter Laban
1 - If you can make a sound, you are a musician.

2 - If you like the sound you make, you are a good musician.

3 - If others like the sound you make, you are a great musician.

4 - Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something.

I think there are a few more requirements, I would not call everybody who can squeeze a sound out of an instrument a musician, nor would I call someone who can mechanically string patterns of notes together, no matter how complex, a musician. There's a bit more involved and emotion, personality etc are requirements that are pretty high up the list.

When I play for dancers or in a band I am referred to as a musician, maybe qualified by 'good, bad or rubbish'. If we get asked back that's gratifying.

When I play at home for pleasure no description is necessary and I'm sure any neighbour wouldn't use the description musician if it got on their nerves.

What do we call a person who is totally engrossed with making sounds that are not yet recognised by society as 'music'. If it becomes acclaimed is it music if they never get recognised what does that make them?

If a great musician played music that wasn't seen or heard as music in another culture would they still be a musician?

If a musician fell down, or fell about, more like, in the middle of a forest with no-one around to hear ,would they still be a musician?

I play, therefore I am (a musician)

A musician is just somebody playing music... And than there is good and bad (often very subjective).

Ah well come on guys; keep on playing. This is not worth spending time on!

Morris musicians are often referred to as , "the muso".

Is that because they don't deserve the last few letters?

I remember a quote from a Seekers concert aeons ago....and I'm talking about the Old Seekers I might add.

One said to the other....."You're just a stupid musician," to which came the answer"...........I might be stupid.....but........"

Then there was Ringo Starr.........at a press conference, the Beatles were asked,

"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"

John Lennon answered, "He isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles".