"it's Loud Enough For Irish Music"

Azalin

I agree. And unfortunately, the move to amplified music has made this problem even worse. Players rely on a goon (usually already hearing impaired) at a sound board to do the balancing that they should be doing themselves.

At a pub session....amplification? Not for this little fat Hobit. :ph34r: Now the "goon" at the board....I've been that goon and tried to do a good job. Trick for me was to get the monitor sound to reflect what was happening in the house. Then the musicians take care of themselves.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And best of all in my kitchen, when it's raining outside.

Ah, the best! Indeed.

I agree Kitchen sessions (with a few good assorted friends) are the best.

I also agree too loud or too fast is bad, but also is too soft and too slow! :P

(Spoken: Oh, can't you hear that wind howl?)

Can't you hear that wind howl?

You better come on in my kitchen, baby, it's goin' to be rainin' outdoors

It's raining right now. Wind howling, too.

OK I'll come over and we'll have a session in your kitchen.... ;)

Guest Peter Laban

David seems to have lost his footing a bit, weatherwise: today, sunday there was little in the way of howling winds and while there were a few passing showers during the day, for the past few hours the night sky has been clear. Yesterday, was a different story though.

Can I come? If my playing's not good enough, I'll make the crêpes, how about that? :ph34r:

I don't even know if David will let me in, I just invited myself. But if he like crêpes you stand perhaps a better chance than me :lol:

There is however a small concertina meeting in Nantes on 22 and 23 November, you might want to go there? If so I can put you in contact with Didier Jaffredo who organizes it. I do not know where in France you live but Nantes is surely not as far as Ireland.

Can I come? If my playing's not good enough, I'll make the crêpes, how about that? :ph34r:

Ah yes Crêpes, that reminds me of that old saying:

"The cat creaps into the crypt, crêpes and creaps out again" 3.gif

....... said with a 'Morningside' accent, of course!

:ph34r:

I do not know where in France you live but Nantes is surely not as far as Ireland.

You would think so! But Nantes is over 800km from here, and would cost lots of petrol and motorway tolls.

I'd be quicker nipping down to Béziers (60km) and getting a cheap Ryanair flight to Cork.

Funny old world. :rolleyes:

If so I can put you in contact with Didier Jaffredo who organizes it.

Thank you, chiton1.

I think I've come across Didier, the unusual surname definitely rings a bell. I found his name and emailed him, and he put me in touch with someone local who plays concertina. I was gobsmacked, I can tell you! Unfortunately this local chap is very, very busy, only makes it to the monthly session about once a year. Not EC either, the other two, Anglo and duet.

I'm well taken with the idea of a kitchen session! It's just not the kind of thing they do down here. Interested people are also so far apart from each other anyway, and always so busy, it would all have to be organised about 3 months in advance. And not during any holidays, because everything stops during holidays.

If anybody gets this far (Kilshanny) we'll definitely have a kitchen session, with crépes. We should definitely decide to meet in Bradfield next year, for the Bradfield Traditional Music Festival, in Yorkshire. Lots of concertinas, lots of music, country dances, spontaneous sessions, pub sessions, lectures, symposiums and talks, great beer and welcoming hosts. It's the greatest bargain in the world of traditional music.

Meantime on November 8 we're planning a flat session in Marrinan's pub in Ennistymon, that higgledy-piggledy town, where the streets run up and down and the cats are brown, and the chief of police is a circus clown.

You're all welcome. Our house is full-up but if you bring a sleeping bag you can sleep in the barn.

If anybody gets this far (Kilshanny) we'll definitely have a kitchen session, with crépes. We should definitely decide to meet in Bradfield next year, for the Bradfield Traditional Music Festival, in Yorkshire. Lots of concertinas, lots of music, country dances, spontaneous sessions, pub sessions, lectures, symposiums and talks, great beer and welcoming hosts. It's the greatest bargain in the world of traditional music.

Meantime on November 8 we're planning a flat session in Marrinan's pub in Ennistymon, that higgledy-piggledy town, where the streets run up and down and the cats are brown, and the chief of police is a circus clown.

You're all welcome. Our house is full-up but if you bring a sleeping bag you can sleep in the barn.

Is that a session in a flat (as opposed to a kitchen ) or is it in Eb etc? Nice offer anyhow David, I wish I could just up and come. See you at Bradfield anyhow.

Mike