Tidying Up

Hello Helen, I think it pretty much depends on whether you are cleaning them in situ or taking them out of the tina and re-bushing them. I've read elsewhere that an overnight soak in water with a bit of bleach in it will bring them up a treat. Renewing the cross bushing is a bit fiddly at first; I followed someone else's idea (possibly Bob Tedrow) and threaded as many buttons as I could onto a strip of bushing felt and then just cut them apart, it worked a treat.

If you haven't already got it I would strongly recommend that you buy a copy of David Elliott's 'Concertina Maintenance Manual'.

Pete.

Hi all - any ideas about cleaning bone buttons - is there a better way than just using a damp cloth? cheers.

There are many cheap Sonic Cleaners available at less than £20 try them they work a treat with a little washing up liquid or some Household Ammonia I use about 10 drops

Thanks very much - not sure what a sonic cleaner is. I was worried about putting bone in water or anything like that - having had to put up with my mother telling me never to put bone handled knives in water! I think I resorted to a bit of spit - and yes, I did re-bush them - and re-padded and cleaned it all - still got one side to go and the valves and reeds - not doing much to them though, they sound quite good as they are and I don't want to mess them up! And yes, I have both of Dave's repair manuals - good descriptions but there's nothing like having a go to make you realise the pitfalls - eg putting buttons back wrong way round, putting action box on wrong way round - pushing bushing all the way through etc! Good fun - can't wait to get it finished!