Noel Kenny

I was once in a session in Matt Malloys pub in Westport, Mayo which was led by Noel Kenny, who lived around there. He was very amiable and a great player, my son Liam, who was into all sorts of music but a bit wary of traditional music as not too 'cool' said 'He's a 'Don', and I must agree. I've never found any recording by him, has anyone any leads. I've tried Google to no avail.

Guest Peter Laban

There used to be a whole bunch of Kenny's brothers all, who were musically very active during the late seventies and early eighties. I have seen them tour on the continent and do lunchtime concerts in Trinity College in Dublin for example. Owen, the family piper seemed the most prolific. They were involved in Comhaltas and some of them were in Comhaltas tourgroups at the time. They were from the East of the country but Noel may well be one of them, I can't remember the names except Owen's.

Hi Michael,

Noel is a member of a family from Dublin originally, and as you say now living in the Westport area. His brother( who's name escapes me right now) plays pipes and I can't be sure but another plays mandolin. The last I heard Noel was still living in Westport and whilst I know that there is old RTE footage of his brother playing the pipes, I am not sure about Noel on the concertina- although ,they were stalwarts of the Comhaltas headquarters scene in the eighties and the musicians there were constantly being filmed, so maybe?

I was once in a session in Matt Malloys pub in Westport, Mayo which was led by Noel Kenny, who lived around there. He was very amiable and a great player, my son Liam, who was into all sorts of music but a bit wary of traditional music as not too 'cool' said 'He's a 'Don', and I must agree. I've never found any recording by him, has anyone any leads. I've tried Google to no avail.

Guest Peter Laban

I just realised he also played a track on the 'Doublin' album by Paddies Keenan and Glackin, the cocnertina/fiddle duet of Castlekelly.

Google does throw up a few references when you limit it to pages from Ireland only.

I just realised he also played a track on the 'Doublin' album by Paddies Keenan and Glackin, the cocnertina/fiddle duet of Castlekelly.

Google does throw up a few references when you limit it to pages from Ireland only.

Thanks guys, the wonders of conc.net!

By sheer coincidence I've just received an LP off eBay of 'Doublin' so I'll play it immediately

Mike

Noel Kenny appeared as a guest at Eigse Mrs Crotty three or four years ago and was a very fine player and all round enetertainer.You will find some photographs of Noel and a full report of that years festival in one of the reports of the weekend done by Shay Fogarty which I think were hosted on Lisa Shields website.I also have some recordings of Noel made that weekend.

• 2 weeks later...