Sally Gardens

Jim Besser

Hi Jim - The tune that Brian plays goes with the song of the same name (a poem by WB Yeats):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_By_The_Salley_Gardens

Yes! I sing a version of it with the Stoners and as I finish the last verse on a piano a cappella high G, we storm into the Sally Gardens/Ships are Sailing/ Earls Chair reels. Lots of fun!

I'm familiar with SG as a fast reel, but Brian Peters has a wonderful slow air by the same name on the C.net recorded link page. Does anybody know the origin of this tune and the name?

I'm familiar with the song, but not with the fast reel. Is there a recording somewhere someone can point me to?

the session may be a great source of tunes ,its also agreat source of wankers,particularly MichealGill or llig leachim,he is insulting the concertina yet again.

You don't ever need to actually open the Discussions tab at all. Just go look for tunes.

(As an aside, this was the first tune I ever learned on the Concertina. Learned it almost instantly on a G/D 20 Lachenal 20 button, and my synthesizers have languished ever since.)

--Dave

quote]the session may be a great source of tunes ,its also agreat source of wankers,particularly MichealGill or llig leachim,he is insulting the concertina yet again.

Wankers!? Even a yank like me knows this one :o .

I've never bothered with the discussions, but have heard similar remarks on the level of discourse therein.

My bone to pick with session transcriptions (poor choice I realize) is some of them lack any resemblence to the tunes as played or keys played in. Imagine, hearing Father Kelly's reel and the next day all excited you download the session trascription.... in D. T'ain't in D now is it. Learning to transpose is a forced benefit, as is turning back to learning by ear even with the mistakes one picks up from the errant voices in my head. the Comhaltas website was a sure life-line. They have little written music, but those clips in the shop page set me to rights on a number of occations.

As time has meandered on I've gotten better at hearing a new one at session and by the next time or two, I've got a version that doesn't cause fiddlin' Connie to cut her eyes at me (always kindly though).

Edited by Mark Evans