Fretwork Pattern Needed

I recently acquired what I think may be a unique Wheatstone - an extended treble with riveted reeds, hexagonal flat wooden ends and metal-capped buttons. So far, so ordinary. The difference is that it's a single-action instrument. I can almost hear the cries of "Why?" from here - why did Wheatstone make it, and why did I buy it? But leaving all that aside, it has one big problem: someone has fitted it with truly horrible and crudely made replacement ends. I need to make new ones, and to do that, I need a pattern. So, if there is anyone out there with a Wheatstone extended treble, I would be very grateful for head-on digital pics of each end, from which I can draw up a template.

Many thanks,

David.

I would be very grateful for head-on digital pics of each end, from which I can draw up a template.

I suggest that you contact Steve Dickinson of Wheatstone about this as he probably has the original end patterns from which that box was made. He can also make a new set of ends for you.

-- Rich --

... if there is anyone out there with a Wheatstone extended treble, I would be very grateful for head-on digital pics of each end, from which I can draw up a template.

David,

I've got one of the same model (only double-action) at the moment, that somebody has asked me to sell. I'll take some pictures and post them for you.

By the way, I think this instrument may have already caused comment here when it was on eBay, in the thread Early Wheatstone 56 Key, On ebay?

... if there is anyone out there with a Wheatstone extended treble, I would be very grateful for head-on digital pics of each end, from which I can draw up a template.

David,

I've got one of the same model (only double-action) at the moment, that somebody has asked me to sell. I'll take some pictures and post them for you.

By the way, I think this instrument may have already caused comment here when it was on eBay, in the thread Early Wheatstone 56 Key, On ebay?

Stephen,

Many thanks for that. And yes, you're right, it is the same instrument featured in the earlier thread. I thought it would provide an interesting challenge - and if I fail, I reckon I've still got my money's worth in a nice set of reeds.

David

I would be very grateful for head-on digital pics of each end, from which I can draw up a template.

I suggest that you contact Steve Dickinson of Wheatstone about this as he probably has the original end patterns from which that box was made. He can also make a new set of ends for you.

-- Rich --

I know Steve reasonably well - in fact, I'll be seeing him in a couple of days - but the point of my mad purchase was to do it myself, not least because I suspect that even when restored, this one may not be worth the price of new ends from Steve! However, I shall certainly ask him about the patterns, and thanks for your input.

David

I've just taken the LH end apart, and discovered that the original leather baffle had been stuck back on the replacement end, complete with its serial number, 21272, listed in the ledgers as "No 8 single action (Kerrick)" I presume Kerrick would be the name of the buyer? But can anyone please tell me the significance of the No. 8?

I've just ... discovered ... its serial number, 21272, listed in the ledgers as "No 8 single action (Kerrick)" I presume Kerrick would be the name of the buyer? But can anyone please tell me the significance of the No. 8?

So it is there! I actually ploughed all the way through that ledger, looking for a single-action one, and failed to spot it. Then again, it is almost the last page and I was getting bleary-eyed by then... :(

No. 8 is the model number, usually used for 56-key ebony-ended instruments. By that time, some of them still had the normal fret pattern, whilst others had the early Æola "pencil" or "dot and comma" fret.

Kerrick would indeed have been the buyer, and even their name being listed is an indication of how the instrument was a made to order as a "special".

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stephen,

Steve Dickinson is providing me with a 48k template which I might be able to adapt, but I'd still like to see how it should be done - so if that 56k is still with you, I'd be very grateful for the pictures.

Many thanks,

David

... if that 56k is still with you, I'd be very grateful for the pictures.

Give me a couple of days.

Here you go:

(Photos removed to save loading time)

Many thanks - now I've got no more excuses!

David

Hi, David -

I am finally waking up here: I have a 56 button like that.

Since I am taking the thing apart anyway, do you want a

couple of scans (i.e., not photos) of the sides?

Can do it early next week -

/Henrik

Many thanks - now I've got no more excuses!

David

Hi, David -

I am finally waking up here: I have a 56 button like that.

Since I am taking the thing apart anyway, do you want a

couple of scans (i.e., not photos) of the sides?

Can do it early next week -

/Henrik

Many thanks for the offer, Henrik, but I've actually drawn the templates now, with the help of Stephen's pictures. Now all I have to do is a bit of scrollsaw practice. No, on second thoughts, better make that a lot of scrollsaw practice!