Another Wheastone On Ebay...

Dieppe

I keep seeing the following Wheatstone on eBay item # 290261106678, and I keep wondering two things.

1: What makes it so "Rare"? That it's shiny?

and 2: Why does this seller insist on putting an impossibly high "Buy it Now" price, rather than just letting it be free to open bidding. I know how much I'd bid, and I'm sure I'd be outbid.

Is it that the seller is "sure" that it's worth that much and won't let it go for any less? Knowing that the free market for concertinas might well bid up that high... why not just let the auction system work?

(It's not like there aren't people watching eBay for Wheatstone concertinas with some disposable income.. ;) )

Patrick

Edited by Dieppe

Patrick,

I think perhaps you are being a little hard on this seller.

Certainly not the bargain of the century, but not what I would call "impossibly high".

The asking price seems pretty much in line with similar recent sales I've seen.

This seller usually lists items at a fixed price. He appears to be a retailer, rather than an enthusiast, and that approach seems quite commomplace. You get a longer listing for less outlay. An economically sound business strategy imo.

Not sure about the "rare" tag. But any concertina may be considered rare as compared with many other musical instruments. Especially to a non-concertina enthusiast....

Patrick, drop him an email and make him an offer. You never know; his rent may be due tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:

MC

The Button Box website is now listing # 36793, the "spitting image" of this one (# 36739) for $3,100: http://www.buttonbox.com/stocklist.html

I was looking at that myself. I'd rather (if I had that kind of money) buy it from The Button Box for less, and know that they guarantee their items and it's likely to be in tune (etc.) than risk it on an even higher priced instrument from a random person... just my thoughts is all.

Patrick