Hurricane Ike And Houston, Tx Cnet Members

Has anyone heard from Dan Worrall or other concertina.net members who live in the Houston, Texas area. The hurricane reminents just came through the Ohio Valley and Midwest where I live and 3 out of 4 houses in the Cincinnati area are without power. I do not like to imagine what they are going through in Texas and Louisianna.

Here's best of luck to Dan and others hit by hurricane Ike. Let us know how you are doing and if there is anyway to help.

Greg

Thanks for the concern. My wife Mary and I made it through the storm just fine, except we have no power (and a big mess of tree limbs down). Being on a farm, we have a generator though (have to have it for the water well, otherwise the cows don’t drink either)….so we have water, a fridge, an electric lamp and a fan running off it. The weather is pleasant, so we don't miss the ac ...the quiet of the area (and the darker night skies) are actually pleasant. Neighbors are using our showers, our main advantage. My sister, in a nearby town, still has power, so I’m over at her place for a few hours, catching up on email and the like. Two other siblings around here also are without power.

It was a wild ride. The peak storm hit in the middle of the night; we took turns staying up, mainly so that we could hear any approaching tornadoes in the dark, the main risk out here during a night hurricane. The house shook a few times during several hours of big gusts (100+mph), but came through unscathed. Most in the city (Houston) had a similar story; the unlucky ones had trees fall on their homes or took on a little water. The areas on the coast are in very bad shape, as the storm surge scraped whole towns. It will be a long, long climb out for a lot of people.

Most in and around Houston….nearly 3 million people…are out of power, and doubtless, that includes Stephen Mills. His area has well built homes and not too many big trees, so I am quite hopeful that he and his family came through fine. He told me before the storm they were hunkering down in place, as did most in his area.

Best,

Dan

Thanks for checking in, Dan. Good to hear you and yours are OK and we hope to hear the same from Stephen.

I grew up in S. Florida and went thru a couple of scary hurricanes during the 1950s and 60s. I can only imagine a banshee's wail as a suitable rival to those storm winds. My hometown of West Palm Beach was under 50,000 population back then and I never remember the power grid as being down very long. Then again the tv was black and white and there was no air conditioning. Perhaps electricity didn't seem as important. My parents didn't add the color to the tv or bother with a.c. until I had left home. I suppose they wanted us to grow up tough.

The Galveston area looks very badly hit. "Wasn't it a Mighty Day" is a folk song recounting the 1900 Galvaston hurricane. I think one of the lines goes, "...the earth was all in a motion..." Thank goodness for satellite imaging and a mandatory evacuation.

Enjoy the lack of night light pollution while it lasts. I wish you and your fellow Texans a speedy recovery from the storm.

Greg

It was a wild ride. The peak storm hit in the middle of the night; we took turns staying up, mainly so that we could hear any approaching tornadoes in the dark, the main risk out here during a night hurricane. The house shook a few times during several hours of big gusts (100+mph), but came through unscathed.

Dan,

And you were complaining about the weather here... :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're both OK though!

Hi

I heard from family in Columbus Ohio that they got hit (possibly to a lesser degree -60mph winds) state of emergency declared. So I hope players in Ohio are ok (poss Asdomire?)

I guess we, in England, are luckier - generally the only strong winds we get tend to be hot and from politicians

chris

Backyard is full of fallen limbs, but I've got power. I just got back from Walmart which was closed as they just got their power back minutes ago. In a way, I am lucky here as with all the new fancy houses built in the last few years, our power lines have all been redone to feed the new housing.

Robin called me yesterday when she got to work to let me know that all the grad students and her boss were with out power, but they all live in older neighborhoods in Columbus.

Alan

Enjoy the lack of night light pollution while it lasts. I wish you and your fellow Texans a speedy recovery from the storm.

Greg

Greg,

Many thanks. We just got our power back here, but most in the city are not yet so lucky. The pictures from down the coast are looking grim indeed.

Hard to believe that storm caused so much power outage in Cincinnati.

Dan

Stephen,

What, me complain about Irish weather? I merely asked, politely I thought, whether it ever stops raining there. :P

With our Augusts here in Texas, and our accoasional September hurricane, even Irish rain is a pleasure....as is the Guinness.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Dan Worrall

There saying up to a week to get the power back up completely here. We had seven straight hours of 60 mph winds on Sunday here in the Columbus area.

My biggest problem with the storm is getting replacement batteries for my lanterns in anticipation for my trip to NESI.

Alan

Stephen,

What, me complain about Irish weather? I merely asked, politely I thought, whether it ever stops raining there. :P

With our Augusts here in Texas, and our accoasional September hurricane, even Irish rain is a pleasure....as is the Guinness.

Cheers,

Dan

Murphy's.

Just sayin'.

(Ordering Guinness in Cork will earn dirty looks at the very least. As I learned a while back.)