Concertina, Accordion Difference

On 9/2/2008 at 12:05 PM, squeezbxhvn said:

Thank you very much gentlemen for all the info.... much more satisfying revealing answers than I had expected.

Now... does anyone out there know how to play Lawrence Welk`s theme song on concertina??!!

The theme song itself or the one played in accordion?

On 8/31/2008 at 5:25 PM, michael sam wild said:

The names are just what they were called when introduced and sold and often reflect musical possibilities , melody, chords, in concert, Bandoneon etc. many of the names stuck eg melodeon, and are used in various countries to describe generic types of instrument. In England a melodeon often describes most diatonic accordions. Some are called after the town or where they were made eg Chemnitz, Klingenthal,

So the main feature is free reeds, Then is it unisonic or bisonic? i.e. Do you get the same note on the push and pull (English Concertina. Piano Accordion)or two ( mouth organ, Anglo Concertina, Button Accordion, Melodeon) etc etc.

The names get complicated but it is a useful question and I wish I had known years ago when someone blinded me with too much info on concertinas and put me off for years!

Thank you for sharing the video sir.