My Stupidity!

I am truly sorry to impose this on you all.

In a fit of idiocy I have deleted a message that I received from a player who had found my details on this site and had asked me for help on a query about old pitch. I would not want the message to go unanswered as this would be extremely discourteous and reflect badly on a site which is a model of politeness.

Can you send the message again please Gill!

As it happens, the query was not one that played to my strengths, but it did raise an interesting issue and prompts me to enquire whether there are any published exact tunings of unevenly tempered instruments. Presumably these were all tuned by ear and so every one would be different. Is this right or are there defined tunings for uneven instruments?

Apologies again for imposing my ineptitude on you all.

Best wishes

Roger

I am truly sorry to impose this on you all.

In a fit of idiocy I have deleted a message that I received from a player who had found my details on this site and had asked me for help on a query about old pitch. I would not want the message to go unanswered as this would be extremely discourteous and reflect badly on a site which is a model of politeness.

Can you send the message again please Gill!

As it happens, the query was not one that played to my strengths, but it did raise an interesting issue and prompts me to enquire whether there are any published exact tunings of unevenly tempered instruments. Presumably these were all tuned by ear and so every one would be different. Is this right or are there defined tunings for uneven instruments?

Apologies again for imposing my ineptitude on you all.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger,

I have two instruments in old pitch which have not been changed at all. Both about 50 cent above A=440. I attach the charts of the tunings and I hope you can follow them. Let me know if you can make anything out of them. All I can say is that they reflect the variances expected from tuning by ear.

Regards

Shay

C_Jeffries___MINT_Tuning.doc

Jeffries_Bros__40_B_flat.doc

Thanks for that Shay. It took me a minute to orient myself! This may well help Gill Baldwin if she ever gets back to me after my witless deletion of her email.

My uneven boxes are the ones I play almost exclusively at home - the tones are so beautiful - , but I seldom take them out of the house because they are so antisocial in usual playing environments. Now I know that you are interested I'll definitely bring one up to Bradfield next month (and I'll have the low pitch F sharp at Whitby because Bob Davenport really enjoys singing to it).

When Dan Worrall last stayed with me he put my uneven (ex-Kilroy) G/D through a thorough analysis with an electronic tuner; it will be interesting to see how its variations compare with yours. This might lead to an initial speculation on the consistency of these beautiful tunings. It's something else to talk about when we're all at Bradfield; I hope you're able to come to my 'Anglo Hour' on the Saturday morning. I look forward to meeting you.

All best wishes,

Roger

Please don't forget I'm still trying to locate Gill, a beginning Anglo player with an interest in old pitch tunings.

When Dan Worrall last stayed with me he put my uneven (ex-Kilroy) G/D through a thorough analysis with an electronic tuner; it will be interesting to see how its variations compare with yours. This might lead to an initial speculation on the consistency of these beautiful tunings. It's something else to talk about when we're all at Bradfield; I hope you're able to come to my 'Anglo Hour' on the Saturday morning. I look forward to meeting you.

All best wishes,

Roger

Uh-oh....I better look for that tuning chart I made! It must be here, somewhere in that 3 foot stack of unfiled papers.....

No worries, I'll find it and bring it to Bradfield. I think I measured the notes the same way that Shay did on his charts....so it should be easy to compare. Much harder was trying to figure out what those frequencies meant, temperament-wise. But I know the instrument sounded great.

Looking forward to meeting you Shay, at Bradfield...and to seeing Roger again.