50 Button Jeffries Concertina For Sale

Dave_Stanford

OK, so I sent it off to Bob Tedrow who took a look at it and gave this description;

Here is my evaluation and description of your concertina.

This is a 50 button Jeffries Duet concertina repitched to a C/G Anglo. Original 6 fold bellows in good playing condition with playing wear evident on lower bellows folds. It has the original metal "drawer pull" handrests but the original straps have been replaced with a non adjustable piece of leather. The original brass hand strap screws are present.

The raised metal ends have been carefully buffed in the recent past and are in good condition. The metal buttons are original and complete. The action is riveted and works quite well, no sticky buttons.

The reeds are steel and while original have been carefully repitched to a c/g anglo format. There is a penciled note indicating that A. Norman, a highly competent concertina professional, has tuned the concertina in the past.

All the valves (reed leathers) have been replaced although some are curled and should be replaced. Pads are mosly original with very few replacements. Although discolored with age, no evidence of insect damage or moisture damage. No accumulation of detritus.

The reed pad has been shimmed to ensure a good airtight fit in the bellows frame.

This a concertina is in good playing condition and has been serviced professionally in the past. It has been repitched from a Duet system to an Anglo system. The repitching has been carefully done and the concertina retains a consistent timbre across the scale.

Bob Tedrow

Homewood Music

205 879-4868

OK, ive posted all the pictures in topic "http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7161"

Make me an offer, I reckon considering it cost 1100 quid 20 years ago, its worth at least $3000. I think I'll end the auction next Friday the 25th. If I dont get 3k +, I'll try ebay.

Hopefully, this all sounds reasonable.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Is this a first come first serve "buy it now" at $3000.00 or do want C.net members to bid with the highest bidder taking the 'tina.?

Im going with the ebay type approach. I was going to post the highest bidder's initials/ID during the 2 weeks, and then assuming I've got a reasonable offer at the end of the 2 weeks, sell it to them. If they decide they made a mistake offer it to the second bidder.

I would make the assumption that no-one was going to rush in the last 5 minutes to up someones offer, as occurs with low value bids. I'll deal with that situation if it comes to it, so as to make it fair (or as fair as possible).

Dave

Dave, I am sending you a PM (personal message) with the opening bid.

I almost had a Wheatstone MacCaan Duet (58 buttons #29766) this week but the original owner and another relative are having a "heated discussion" over it. I decided to step aside of this feud before I see the concertina ripped into two pieces.

I will bid on your concertina and hope that you do not have a nephew that wants this concertina too :)

Dave, I am sending you a PM (personal message) with the opening bid.

I almost had a Wheatstone MacCaan Duet (58 buttons #29766) this week but the original owner and another relative are having a "heated discussion" over it. I decided to step aside of this feud before I see the concertina ripped into two pieces.

I will bid on your concertina and hope that you do not have a nephew that wants this concertina too :)

OK, so Ive received a couple of offers so I'll go ahead with putting a few more details to try to make it easier. Its not a silent auction - whatever that is. Its just that Ive got my job to do and only get to see this message board now and then. The highest bid gets an ID they know who they are - I tell em. Also, the first person who bids a certain price is 'tagged', cos I had several people go for 3K. If the highest bidder doesnt go for it, then the second highest bidder will be contacted. If that fails its back to ebay.

============================

Reserve Price = $3,000

Previous Bid = $3,000 (BO)

Current highest offer = $3,500 (SC)

Bids in $100 increments please.

Payment to be by Cashiers check/money order. (This might be negotiable if someone suggest something just as safe)

Closing date = Friday 25th July : 7pm Eastern Time (that translates to 12 midnight in England).

Shipping = USA (I'll do it, Fedex probably), England etc (buyer pays).

Hi Everyone

I'm showing my stupidity here, no doubt.........but how can I see Dave's pictures for this concertina? :(

I've tried searching the forum using the "showtopic 7161" reference, but no joy! Definitely my error, so can anyone smile sweetly upon me and spell-out how to get there in simple steps for a complete klutz??!!

Thanks to all

Tony :rolleyes:

Wed 23rd July UPDATE

Reserve Price = $3,000

Previous Bid = $3,500 (SC)

Current highest offer = $3,700 (PR)

Payment to be by Cashiers check/money order. (This might be negotiable if someone suggest something just as safe)

Closing date = Friday 25th July : 7pm Eastern Time (that translates to 12 midnight in England).

Fri 25 July UPDATE

Reserve Price = $3,000

Previous Bid = $3,900 (SC)

Current highest offer = $3,900 (PR)

(I got the same bid at the same time, before I could post it here, hence the bids in order received)

Fri 25th July UPDATE: 25mins to go.

Reserve Price = $3,000

Previous Bid = $4000 (PR)

Current highest offer = $5200 (TC)

Payment to be by Cashiers check/money order/Paypal. (This might be negotiable if someone suggest something just as safe)

BIDDING IS NOW OVER

Reserve Price = $3,000

Previous Bid = $4000 (PR)

Current highest offer = $5200 (TC)

TC has now won the Concertina. I will be corresponding with them to verify the sale. If this does not work out, then I will offer the instrument to PR. If neither agree, then its back to ebay.

Well that was fun! 2% of the final sale will be donated to this site.

Best wishes to all who took part/viewed/gave advice.

Regards Dave.