Boermusic In Konsertina In Youtube

Hello, searching for concertina tunes, I found that if you put in the searcher konsertina there are a lot of boer music played in konsertina.

Félix Castro

It turned out lots of interesting playing, but unfotrunately also intertwined with it came loads of SA Nazi videos. I mistakingly watched "The Leader, The Driver, The Driver's Wife", thinking it's about SA music. Surely it is! Only different kind. Wow! Didn't know the problem is so huge.

It turned out lots of interesting playing, but unfotrunately also intertwined with it came loads of SA Nazi videos. I mistakingly watched "The Leader, The Driver, The Driver's Wife", thinking it's about SA music. Surely it is! Only different kind. Wow! Didn't know the problem is so huge.

ponder2.gif When I make a search on "konsertina" I only get eleven results, nine of which were posted by Sean Minnie, but I don't get the eight parts of "The Leader, The Driver, The Driver's Wife". dontknow.gif

For what its worth... Eugene Terreblance, the subject of "The Leader, The Driver, The Driver's Wife" has recanted his views and converted to Christianity. He is currently on a speaking tour around South Africa.

Instead of advancing neo Nazism in South Africa Boer music lovers are packing their concertinas and suitcases and immigrating to the U.S.A., Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. Violence, crime, corruption, reverse discrimination and AIDS epidemic, are enough to break one's spirit. "Cry the beloved country." Post apartheid South Africa and Zimbabwe are not blissful, peaceful Utopias.

There are still many decent people left in South Africa - especially Boer Music concertina players - who will go to great lengths to play their concertinas for you, share their music and stories with you. During a recent visit to South Africa one concertina player travelled 200 kilometers to visit with me and to allow me to film him playing his 40 button anglo concertina. He refused any remuneration offered to him for his troubles. I hope to put some of the Boer Music on YouTube too, in the near future.

Please note...there are several genres of Boer Music...the traditonal music style demonstrated by Sean Minnie's videos and then there is the contemporary or modern style.

Hello, searching for concertina tunes, I found that if you put in the searcher konsertina there are a lot of boer music played in konsertina.

Félix Castro

Fascinating stuff!

Nice melodic music with a solid rhythm and interesting little harmonic touches.

Listening to the clips, I couldn't help thinking that this is a European music that you don't hear in Europe any more. In fact, I could imagine German folk music being played in a similar style, if it had assimilated British and American folk styles after the war, instead of being replaced by them.

Interestingly, a couple of the clips showed what appeared to be 20-button Klingenthal-type concertinas - what we now call "German concertinas". Who needs 38 bttons? ;)

I must say, if a bunch of musical ex-patriate Boers showed up near me, I'd join them like a shot! (Afrikaas can't be all that more difficult than Dutch, can it? ;) )

I will restrain myself and not comment on the other clips that came up, of mindless bureaucrats covering their incompetence with statements that their Leader will think of something. No comment. Just a shudder ...

If there were only musicians, the world would be a better place. South Africa at least.

Cheers,

John